Porto Bridge Walk - Need Specifics

I've read a lot about the walk over the Dom Luis bridge in Porto, Portugal.  However, I'm having trouble figuring out exactly where to go in Porto (and perhaps in Gaia too, on the other side) to get on the bridge.  I looked at Google and figured out where to get on the bridge down at the Ribeira section of Porto, on a street named R. da Ribeira Negra Near there I see stairs with railings that appear to be going up fairly steeply.  I think they are called Escadas Barredo.  Is that where I go to get up to the upper level of the bridge?  I want to walk on the top level  And the funicular (Guidais Ascensor) is down on the Ribeira waterfront next to the place where I saw the stairs.  I know that funicular, when running, goes up top to a different part of Porto.  But is the funicular any help in avoiding the steep climb to the upper level of the bridge?  If anyone has walked across the top level of the bridge, especially from the Porto side, not Gaia, I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks & obrigada.

Not sure if this is helpful or not as my memory not as exact as your question.

We got onto it by taking the metro from the port into Porto.  We were heading for Vila Nova de Gaia , the port houses and the pretty waterfront of Rebeira..

We giot onto it by taking the metro from the port into Porto.  We were heading for Vila Nova de Gaia , the port houses and the pretty waterfront.

We had to switch metro lines somewhere along the way, but we exited at Jardim do( or di Morro), on the upper level. walked down from there and when time to leave, took the little funicular up to the older historic part of town.

We had to switch metro lines at an interchange somewhere along the way, but we exited at Jardim do (or  di) Morro, on the upper level, walked down from there and when time to leave Ribeira, took the little funicular up to the older historic part of town

The bridge upper level is for both pedestrians and the metro.

You could try searching Jardim do (or di) Morro for further info which may be more detailed than my hazy memory. Or,

mMy sister visited earlier this year and said it was only a few minutes walk from rthe main train station if that is helpful. They were at that station to see the amazing tiles which really are unmissable.

Edited by edinburgher

If anyone has walked across the top level of the bridge, especially from the Porto side, not Gaia, I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks & obrigada.

Spoke with my sister this evening.  She could not remember if it was the main train station or a different one,, but it was definitely " the one with the famous tiles".

Apologies for two lots of repetition in post #2. i don't understand how it happened, nor do I understand how i did not notice them within the maximum time for editing and correcting them. Not one, but TWO senior moments in one day!!🥲🥲

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you edinburgher and marazul for the helpful replies.  I was making an incorrect assumption in terms of where the upper level of the bridge meets Porto.  It is actually more or less on the same level as Sao Bento railway station with its tiles, and there is a Metro stop not far from the railway station.  Those things are on maps, so it's easier to get to the bridge than I thought - at least from that elevated part of the city.  So yes, if you walk "down" (or just "on"?) a few streets from Sao Bento, you can see the walkway for the bridge not too terribly far away. And on the way there, you pass a metro stop.

As for the funicular at the waterfront (Ribeira area - which is lower than Sao Bento, Se cathedral, etc.) it goes up to a good level, and then there is a little bit of a walk "over" to where you can get on the walkway for the bridge walk. And from what I learned, you can also take steps that start near the funicular with the same being true - then have to make your way "over" to the walkway for the bridge.  

And then I believe if you are in Gaia, you can reach the bridge from a couple different ways, though I'd prefer not to use the somewhat expensive gondola for that.  And there are no steps on the bridge itself to go up or down on the two levels, so you can't just plan on doing that!

Much of this was made clear to me by asking for help on Trip Advisor in the Forums (Europe, "Mediterranean - Other" section (though I don't consider Portugal part of the Med, but whatever!))  And once I got a better idea of where to look, I was able to find street views on Google that helped show things better.

So if anyone wants more info on reaching the bridge from the Porto side, reading that thread will help.  It's confusing to see Porto portrayed on a google map, and I was really struggling to figure out how to do both the funicular (when open), bridge walk, and some other things in Porto and Gaia. And no, marazul, unfortunately I'm not staying in Porto, which is why I'm trying to get things figured out ahead of time!  Cruising often makes you do that. 

Thanks again.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Thank you edinburgher and marazul for the helpful replies.

Thanks for acknowledging as not everyone does.

By the way, if you are on a land stay in Porto, you might want to consider a side trip to Coimbra which my sister recommends.  I think she said it was around an hour by train.

They split their week between Oporto and Coimbra and thoroughly enjoyed both.