Bliss outdoor dining in Alaska late season-Yes!

VUCruiser

We sailed the 10/15/22 Bliss to Alaska for a late in the season cruise knowing it would be cold and rainy and came prepared  We have sailed several times on NCL, but never on this class of ship with the Waterfront, and were looking forward to seeing and experiencing this space. Out of 7 nights, we dined outside at the specialty restaurants 4 times for dinner.  We had upgraded to the premium plus so had the 4 specialty dining spots.  

1st night at Ocean Blue and three other nights during the week at La Cucina including while docked in Victoria and while departing Icy Straight Point. The host warned us when we requested outside (it's cold, are you sure?) and by the last night they just led us outside 🙂  La Cucina had tables that reached further in than the other outdoor restaurants so we opted there most often as it helped cut down on wind. We were not alone as other couples and families were also dining outside on three of the four evenings we chose to do so...

I post this as I had trouble finding info before we left about the ability to dine outdoors when cold and rainy, and wanted to let future cruisers know this is a great option. Blankets were provided for my lap and shoulders. Ceiling heaters were on...not overly strong but took some of the bite off.  Tables were set back from the railing.  We had layered up.  We eat at home outside frequently as well so we were in great spirits being able to be in the fresh air with a view of the ocean.  It was beautiful!  One night even had a bit of a sunset, and for October in Alaska that itself is a blessing.   The ship's lighting was just so pretty.  Wind was not an issue given where we sat...not all of the outdoor dining spots lended themselves as well to this as did La Cucina, however, so were did limit ourselves in terms of dining options.  (La Cucina's bread was fantastic and they gave us an extra loaf to bring back to the cabin :))  

Tried the American Diner for lunch one day...it was just OK, and much preferred the buffet for lunch and one of the other evening dinners, and bringing our plates outside near the pool where there were ceiling heaters as well. 

Had a great time! 

Overall loved the waterfront, and were there frequently, even though we had a balcony as it was covered and had those great couches.  

I don't know about the Bliss' outdoor dining in hot climates but given this experience, we will have to try it.

Happy sailing!

• Like 3

Totally depends on the weather. Last year, we were dining at Ocean Blue as we left Seattle. As soon as the ship got underway, it was too windy to sit outside (tablecloths flapping, flinging glasses, dishes, and utensils everywhere) and they moved everyone inside. 

We've dined outside in late September and as long as the heaters are on full blast, it is o.k. 

I suspect wind is going to be the deciding factor more so than cold.  We spend winters in a ski town and we've dined out side in below freezing temps (and the outside area was full, it wasn't like we were the only fools out there 😉 ).

We'll be on Encore in a couple weeks, hoping we can dine outside when we do Cagneys and/or Ocean Blue.  I'm certain it will depend on the wind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I suspect wind is going to be the deciding factor more so than cold.  We spend winters in a ski town and we've dined out side in below freezing temps (and the outside area was full, it wasn't like we were the only fools out there 😉 ).

We'll be on Encore in a couple weeks, hoping we can dine outside when we do Cagneys and/or Ocean Blue.  I'm certain it will depend on the wind.

I'd eat outside in the cold in a hot minute! Much like you, I've been a skier and absolutely love apres ski al fresco. It's such a nice vibe...and on a cruise ship, might as well go jump in the thermal suite's pool after a nice evening meal that slightly cools one down. Now, the wind? Yep, I'd prefer not to eat in a biting wind where the napkin is blown overboard.