MSC website and prices - Can they be booked?

Chrish2

Been thinking about a short notice holiday and was checking out MSC. Noticed whilst during a dummy booking checking I can't seem to get the advertised prices.

For example. Their site currently shows two sub £200 itineraries.

£109 pp for 2 nights in an interior cabin on the MSC Preziosa departing 5th Nov 2022 from Southampton (yes I know tomorrow)

£179 pp for 4 nights in an interior cabin on the MSC Virtuosa departing 12th Nov 2022 from Southampton

Both prices are reported as "From £xpp*" with "*price is per adult and inclusive of port taxes and service charge/gratuities". After clicking "see detail" the price is further confirmed the respective date and "BEST PRICE". On then clicking "Select" the price jumps

The 2 night itinerary jumps from £109pp to £119pp (+9%).

The 4 night itinerary jumps from £179pp to £339pp (+89%).

Now in the case the case of 4 night itinerary I think I see the cause. It only offers me  no inside cabin is offered during the checkout process, just balcony, suite or MSC Yacht Club. With the 2 night I can select an interior cabin so can't see rhyme or reason behind the modest bump in price.

In both cases the pricing looks incorrect or misleading however I'm willing to consider a) I've made an MSC novice error or b) MSC website is partly broken and it shouldn't be like this.

Anyone able to share some insight?

Like many cruise lines, they list the price as ‘from’ for the lowest grade cabin, maybe a junior interior.  But when you go to book, only the next up category, a regular interior, is available to book.  I’ve also seen this on other lines when I tried to book solo…the lowest priced cabins were never available to solos.  EM

Very simple, the 109 is a Bella inside which is not available anymore/at the moment. The 119 is a Fantastica inside, that means you can choose the cabin (and other Fantastica advantages like room service for breakfast). 

About the 4 night you made the right conclusion. 

Other than the US and Asian cruise companies, which are advertising fantasy prices that never can be booked, MSC is advertising correct and real prices according to European law. 

Edited by perakcruiser

2 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

4 nights on the MSC Virtuosa departing 12th Nov 2022 from Southampton

504735082_Screenshot2022-11-04at21_03_43.thumb.png.eddd3a11f556c2ac3ce24e25833c4fc6.png988240805_Screenshot2022-11-04at21-10-38Booking.thumb.png.5cd4a4b5d6b83fbfd5876dcd080602f8.png

475392875_Screenshot2022-11-04at21-13-37Booking.thumb.png.ca04d6ea51b31aac81e4cffbf2377ca1.png

It is not misleading, the interior cabin is sold out but the previous page is not up to date.

In this case, check the MSC every day in the morning. Sometime interior cabins / free capacity will show up. 

> Very simple, the 109 is a Bella inside which is not available anymore/at the moment. The 119 is a Fantastica inside, that means you can choose the cabin (and other Fantastica advantages like room service for breakfast). 

Thanks, I now understand the mechanics a little bit better.

> MSC is advertising correct and real prices according to European law. 

The "from" behaviour seen would be fine on some copy within an ad but its appearing inside a live booking engine that has access to live prices. I can't comment on EU laws but the UK's Advertising Standards Agency says

> In the event an advertised fare fluctuates or becomes unavailable, marketers should ensure that they make clear in their communications that the advertised fares are extremely limited or could be withdrawn at any time. If a fare does become unavailable, ads stating this price should be amended. The ASA upheld a complaint against an advertiser where it continued to present the prices for flights it knew were no longer available. The fact the advertiser relied on third party information, did not mean it was no longer responsible for the prices it presented (Moresand Ltd, 22 November 2017).

> The ASA understands that there will be circumstances under which an offer has become unavailable, but nevertheless expects marketers to give consumers a realistic indication of their prospects of being able to take up the offer.  See Travel Marketing: Availability.

https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/travel-marketing-pricing.html#Price availability and using “from”

Given Moresand Ltd was vending a 3rd party product and MSC is vending a 1st party product there should be more onerous on MSC to ensure its booking engine is displaying prices that are available.

Also I found an interesting case. Can anyone explain?

£409 pp for 7 nights in an interior cabin on the MSC Virtuosa departing 3rd Feb 2023 from Southampton. When clicked though the price is actually lower @ £359 pp (-12%)!

image.thumb.png.13a417fff22d285053f426f9fe4ec819.png

1796001105_Screenshot2022-11-04at23-47-43Booking.thumb.png.b36f0cd5b2664af909a149c9fe5bd603.png

10 hours ago, Chrish2 said:

Also I found an interesting case. Can anyone explain?

Same thing again, it is really simple, this time opposite. So again, 409 is the price of a Fantastica inside but right at the moment you were looking there was a Bella inside available for 359. It is probably really exactly one Bella cabin. MSCs famous IT cannot react every second on incoming and returned cabins. As @Aeroplex said, usually in the morning some new cabins are coming in. 

To answer your next question, yes, one single booking can effect all the prices. Sometimes a Bella is not available, but if you book a Fantastica maybe one day later new Bellas are showing up. 

• Thanks 1