A ROYAL November: LIVE from Mariner/Liberty/Indy/Mariner OTS

10 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

Today in Cozumel they were busy putting up the Christmas tree.

20221128_135147-X2.jpg

Mariner was tired of being the small ship docked next to oasis class in Cozumel so today we parked next to serenade to feel better about our size.

20221128_141817-X3.jpg

20221128_141829-X3.jpg

20221128_142101-X3.jpg

20221128_142105-X3.jpg

Carnival breeze was also in port with us. The sun was in my eyes and I didn't notice the picture didn't come out.

Only three ships in port today which I don't think I've ever seen in Cozumel.

They were putting up the framing for the tree when we were there on Jewel a couple of weeks ago.  Not moving very fast lol.

14 hours ago, jam19872016 said:

I do mostly short cruises so I won't see this perk often. Next time I'm doing a week is Oasis end of February. And that's it although I am eyeing harmony in March.

I’m on Oasis all of February, would enjoy chatting with you at Cheers. 

Man I don't know why but I'm tired again tonight. I legit think I could go to sleep right now. I hope I feel thus way tomorrow when I need to sleep early.

Powering through I'm near boleros listening to some music. The Starbucks across the way takes away all the seating but there is some seating behind Starbucks nobody has apparently noticed since their are a lot of standers.

It's terribly uncomfortable but it will do until Schooner comes alive at 815.

5 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Hi Jam - could you elaborate a little further on the condition of Liberty?

Concerned how much the wear and tear impact the rest of the cruise experience.

Thanks for the outstanding reviews.

I don't think it will impact your experience. If none of the pictures bothered you, you will be fine. It just feels in need of some freshening up.

If you like watching the bog screen, that may impact you.

The elevator bank in the back has an elevator that was out of service the entire cruise. I think royals design of only two elevator banks is a big flaw already but this made using the back elevators an even bigger problem.

My tip is always book towards the front. Those elevators don't get used very often. Of course you have a walk to get almost anywhere you want to go so it is a trade off but I do better on the move than just standing around waiting and then shoving into a packed elevator.

Go and enjoy, it's a clean ship with some minor cosmetic opportunities.

• Like 2

I'm running behind posting some pics. Here are some from Jamie's dinner on the first night.

Arancini

20221126_173217-X2.jpg

Creamy burrata 

20221126_173515-X2.jpg

Prawn linguine.

20221126_174745-X2.jpg

Short ribs.

20221126_180312-X2.jpg

Funky fries.

20221126_180612-X2.jpg

I'll stick with the posh fries.

Lemon meringue cheesecake.

20221126_181745-X2.jpg

In and out in under an hour. Fantastic server I've had many times over two contracts on Mariner.

Edited by jam19872016
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I'm running behind posting some pics. Here are some from Jamie's dinner on the first night.

Arancini

20221126_173217-X2.jpg

Creamy burrata 

20221126_173515-X2.jpg

Prawn linguine.

20221126_174745-X2.jpg

Short ribs.

20221126_180312-X2.jpg

Funky fries.

20221126_180612-X2.jpg

I'll stick with the posh fries.

Lemon meringue cheesecake.

20221126_181745-X2.jpg

In and out in under an hour. Fantastic server I've had many times over two contracts on Mariner.

Victoriano always wanted on us.

Back when we couldn’t touch the coffee machine in the DL he made mine everyday for 3 weeks. I was so happy to see him back on Mariner from Vacation 

I was really craving a steak tonight but i stuck to the seafood.

Salmon.

20221127_184601-X2.jpg

Creamed spinach and tator tots.

20221127_184607-X3.jpg

Apple pie. 

20221127_190655-X3.jpg

Still good! 

Key lime pie.

20221127_191032-X3.jpg

I was pretty full so I had more than enough food. But they have shrunk the size of the pie without shrinking down the meringue. The flavors are unbalanced at this point.

Service. They did their best. Even the manager was helping clear tables but they had trouble keeping up. Dinner took 90 minutes which is too much for me. I really enjoyed my dinner though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SummerBeee said:

Victoriano always wanted on us.

Back when we couldn’t touch the coffee machine in the DL he made mine everyday for 3 weeks. I was so happy to see him back on Mariner from Vacation 

I'm terrible with names. This is a short stocky guy mid 40s from Peru.

I know I'm in the minority, but I really struggle with the dining options on royal compared to carnival. They are both mass market with very tight food budgets that mean quality is inconsistent at best.

But where carnival shines imho is variety. Food is subjective and we can argue amongst ourselves about whose quality is better, but when it comes to variety, there is a clear winner. Spoiler: it isn't royal.

After a couple weeks onboard I really wanted to do ultimate dining for my final leg. Black Friday pricing still had it at $37 a day. My limit for what I'm willing to pay is $30 and I really can't eat enough to make it worthwhile anymore anyway.

So i decided to go a la carte and just keep it under $150. Now that I skipped Izumi yesterday I'll hit that goal easily and I've had more than enough food. 

Today for my specialty selection I went with taste of royal something I've never tried since it was never included in my dining packages.

• Haha 1

The menu.

20221129_115237-X2.jpg

St.peter's spritzer.

20221129_120352-X2.jpg

I did not expect to like that. Not a fan of most of the ingredients but that was surprisingly good.

The bread from Central Park 150.

20221129_120357-X2.jpg

One of my favorites but something was off about it today.

Some canapés because apparently we weren't about to receive a massive amount of food already 🤣

20221129_120603-X2.jpg

• Like 2

Tuna tartar from wonderland.

20221129_121757-X2.jpg

Good but chops version is better.

Marscapone cheese risotto with crabmeat from Giovanni's.

20221129_123144-X2.jpg

This was amazing and I will be on the lookout for this dish next time I'm at Giovanni's.

Filet mignon and spicy jumbo shrimp from chops.

20221129_125707-X2.jpg

Steak was slightly over cooked but I purposely order one temperature cooler than I like so it worked out. Steak was good not amazing, but very good. And the shrimp is my favorite chops entree so a perfect pairing.

Fried cheesecake from Central Park 150.

20221129_132215-X2.jpg

Overall this experience was very good. It cost $35 and you could pair each course with a half glass of wine for $20.

It was like a chef's table light. It is an experience and not a meal so understand there will be a time commitment to enjoy the entire culinary journey.

Great value for the money and a lot if food. I would do it again, but probably not too often without the menu changing up occasionally.

After that massive lunch I just had a smallish dinner at the Windjammer.

Tonight was Indian night and the jammer was a zoo tonight. People amd dirty dishes everywhere.

They were working hard to clear tables.

Let me apologize again for the sloppy plating 😆.

20221129_183723-X2.jpg

20221129_185117-X2.jpg

They ran out of salmon again and I was there within 45 minutes of them being opened. The replacement was not good but everything else I had was.

That warm hazelnut chocolate cake dessert was amazing! Need to look out for that again.

• Like 1