Disembarkation with wheelchair assist

Cruise Suzy

I called HAL's Guest Accessibility because the e-mail I sent hasn't been answered. I was told that anyone who requested wheelchair assistance for disembarkation only had to show up in the lobby when their luggage tag color was called. I was also sent a link to the Special Requirements Information Form - all it has are places to enter booking number and last name and to check for wheelchair assistance request.

Is that really all that is needed? Should I check with Guest Services once onboard?

I have seen wheelchair assistance being requested at the check-in terminal. I was told it cannot be requested beforehand.

I always get wheelchair assistancce boarding and disembarking then use my rollator while on board. When boarding I go to the handicapped entrance and request wheelchair assistance. It's nice as you then bypass all the other people waiting to board. The wheelchair pusher takes you through the check-in process. I contact Guest Services when onboard to let them know I will need wheelchair assistance at disembarkation. They will tell you where you need to go the last morning. If you have a Neptune Suite, just contact one of the concierges in the Neptune Lounge and they will take care of it for you. Very easy.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I had to use it in the last couple months and they were very accommodating. On turn around day on the back to back yesterday they brought all the people who needed them wheelchairs and nice men to push us off and on after immigration check. I just tell them when I arrive and you may need to wait a little if they have a lot of requests but as they told me….”we won’t leave you behind”!

• Thanks 1

I've been using wheelchair assistance to board and disembark for several years now. Here's what I have learned to do: 
Be sure to confirm with the Front Desk that they have you listed as needing wheelchair assistance to disembark. You should get a letter with your disembarkation packet letting you know where the assembly area is, and what time to be there. When you get to the assembly area, be sure to check in. Bring your patience! 
There are a limited number of wheelchairs, and pushers to get people off the ship, and the distance they have to cover can take a long time---the process can be very slow. Getting space in an elevator can be a challenge, too. 

• Thanks 1