exchanging currency on the ships

tribefan

We will be sailing on the Ovation in January and February out of Sydney.  Can we exchange currency while on the ship?  One of the stops is New Caledonia and will need to get a few Pacific francs.  Plus when the cruise is over would want to exchange our AU$ to US$

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, tribefan said:

We will be sailing on the Ovation in January and February out of Sydney.  Can we exchange currency while on the ship?  One of the stops is New Caledonia and will need to get a few Pacific francs.  Plus when the cruise is over would want to exchange our AU$ to US$

Thanks!

I always get currency before I leave home.  The exchange rate on the ship is terrible.   Took the Anthem TA and with the exchange rate if $1,13 to the pound the offered us less than a dollar.   Didn't do the exchange. 

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I always get currency before I leave home.  The exchange rate on the ship is terrible.   Took the Anthem TA and with the exchange rate if $1,13 to the pound the offered us less than a dollar.   Didn't do the exchange. 

We already have our AU and NZ$ but if we have left over at the end of the cruise, don't want to bring it home.  I didn't get any Pacific francs for our stop in New Caledonia, and only plan on spending a little bit there, but would like maybe $50 US to take ashore.  

9 hours ago, tribefan said:

We already have our AU and NZ$ but if we have left over at the end of the cruise, don't want to bring it home.  I didn't get any Pacific francs for our stop in New Caledonia, and only plan on spending a little bit there, but would like maybe $50 US to take ashore.  

Check the exchange rate before changing back to dollars.  New Caledonia might take US dollars.   

I have used the ship to convert currency because of the convenience factor.  But, before deciding you might want to research the following (which I have done with trips to Europe):

• Your bank for international ATM locations.  For instance Bank of America partners with large banks in other countries, so the ATM fee is waived.
  • See if the cruise terminal has a currency exchange and what the rate is.
  • Set up a travel bank account with a bank that doesn't charge international currency fees, and has ATMs where you are traveling.

Again, I go for convenience:  I don't want to make a trip to my local bank, or go through the whole currency request process.  I don't mind, however looking for ATMs ahead of time.  I would especially do this when I was flying into a foreign country, and scouted online where the ATMs were in the airport.