Warning for New Caledonia bound cruisers

On 11/18/2022 at 8:31 AM, Hammer61 said:

Like ANZ Westpac travel insurance is also through Allianz, you go to website, enter card number and various options including a record of your cover, what's covered etc.

https://travel.agaassistance.com.au/westpac/travel-insurance

Thanks so much, Hammer61.  I checked, and yes, our W card covers us.  I applied, and received an email with a confirmation number.  I have therefore this morning cancelled our NRMA policy, and should receive a refund of all or most of the premium within three weeks.  Great response and advice on this thread.  Thank you all.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mareblu said:

Marion, we've just taken out travel insurance with NRMA for our January Cunard cruise to NZ and Tassie.  It's not cheap, believe me, but it was the best price we could find, and it covers Covid.  I turned 74 this week, and Mario is 78.  No problem with our ages.

Marion, see my above post re credit card travel insurance.  It's no extra, and covers Covid.  We had to answer the usual health-related questions, no different from any insurance supplier.  We are eligible, so I've cancelled our NRMA policy.  Our ages were fine.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:38 PM, Mareblu said:

In the UK, Cunard required all UK citizens to have travel insurance before boarding their vessels.  That doesn't apply if you book Cunard here in Australia.  Not sure about other countries.  Cunard is, of course, owned by Carnival now.

Before Covid, travel insurance was provided with all my UK small ship cruises.  There were two policies - one was if you had a package like a cruise and a flight.  From memory, they were Government policies, so I had confidence in them.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Marion, see my above post re credit card travel insurance.  It's no extra, and covers Covid.  We had to answer the usual health-related questions, no different from any insurance supplier.  We are eligible, so I've cancelled our NRMA policy.  Our ages were fine.

Thanks   Great news that you are eligible.  Does Commonwealth Bank Mastercard have insurance cover?  I let my other bank credit card lapse when they started charging, which was a big mistake.  I had no idea you couldn't get a new credit card once you retired.

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Thanks   Great news that you are eligible.  Does Commonwealth Bank Mastercard have insurance cover?  I let my other bank credit card lapse when they started charging, which was a big mistake.  I had no idea you couldn't get a new credit card once you retired.

Not sure about CBA Mastercard, but it's worth enquiring.  I can't believe we were eligible all this time, and we've been purchasing travel insurance from insurance companies for untold amounts.  You live and learn....eventually!

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Not sure about CBA Mastercard, but it's worth enquiring.  I can't believe we were eligible all this time, and we've been purchasing travel insurance from insurance companies for untold amounts.  You live and learn....eventually!

Yes I'll do some research.  It is particularly annoying because travel insurance is so expensive here.  I learnt that when I used to travel overseas with my daughter who lived in London at the time.  The credit cards don't advertise widely that they provide insurance cover.  I knew Americans didn't take out insurance for rental car insurance claims, like we do here, because they were covered.  Often the insurance was more than the cost of the car rental.  More recently, our travel insurance includes an amount for rental car accident claims.  

• Like 1