Charleston Pre-Cruise with Kids

MistyRo76

Hello! I am looking at booking the Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston for me and my 8 (will be 9-year-old) daughter over her fall break next year. I have never been to Charleston before so would like to come into the city a couple of days early to explore the city. What are some must see/do things that would be interesting and fun for my kiddo? 

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, MistyRo76 said:

Hello! I am looking at booking the Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston for me and my 8 (will be 9-year-old) daughter over her fall break next year. I have never been to Charleston before so would like to come into the city a couple of days early to explore the city. What are some must see/do things that would be interesting and fun for my kiddo? 

Thanks! 

What a wonderful thing to plan just for the two of you.  Book a pre-cruise hotel in downtown as soon as you book your cruise.  Don't book it through the cruise line as you will have to pay double.  Hotels in downtown can be pricey.  Once you are situated, you can walk everywhere.  First I would take a Horse and Carriage Ride.  I like the Red carriages the best; they have  different routes and the town tells them where to go so not to have a lot of "horse" traffic.  Later that day or the next, take a boat tour out to Ft. Summter.  Lots of history here too.  There is also Patriot Point across the bay if she would like to explore a battle ship.  Charlestown is a foodie town.  I love Poogan's Porch. Hyman's Seafood has a few location right in the center of things.  The central Marketplace has lots of local lore and nice souvenirs.  You have to check it out.  There is an Embassy suites, a Holiday Inn but it has another local name as well.  Have fun checking out our Southern Low Country.

17 hours ago, Nanatravel said:

What a wonderful thing to plan just for the two of you.  Book a pre-cruise hotel in downtown as soon as you book your cruise.  Don't book it through the cruise line as you will have to pay double.  Hotels in downtown can be pricey.  Once you are situated, you can walk everywhere.  First I would take a Horse and Carriage Ride.  I like the Red carriages the best; they have  different routes and the town tells them where to go so not to have a lot of "horse" traffic.  Later that day or the next, take a boat tour out to Ft. Summter.  Lots of history here too.  There is also Patriot Point across the bay if she would like to explore a battle ship.  Charlestown is a foodie town.  I love Poogan's Porch. Hyman's Seafood has a few location right in the center of things.  The central Marketplace has lots of local lore and nice souvenirs.  You have to check it out.  There is an Embassy suites, a Holiday Inn but it has another local name as well.  Have fun checking out our Southern Low Country.

Thank you for your suggestions! I will add these all to my notes for this cruise and hopefully we can work all/most of it in! 

Grew up in Charleston and raised my kids here as well. Downtown Charleston is incredible but can be pricey. If you are looking for more moderate priced lodging I’d suggest Mount Pleasant. Easy ride across the Ravenel Bridge into town. Lots of good restaurants over on that side of the harbor as well. My kids used to love to explore Fort Moultrie on Sullivan’s Island. The walk over the Ravenel Bridge offers breathtaking views well out into the Atlantic. My kids loved to play in the fountains at the Waterfront Park (just past the cruise terminal). Patriot’s Point in Mount Pleasant has several ships you can tour including the aircraft carrier Yorktown. The South Carolina Aquarium is small but well designed. White Point Garden on the Battery is another place to take in the views and let the kid run around. A stroll thru the Market is always fun. Lots of shops on either side of the Market as well. Fall is my favorite time of year here! Temps are still in the 80s but the humidity is way down from summertime, just be aware that Sept and Oct are the months we see the most tropical activity during hurricane season. Any questions please feel free to ask. 

Scott 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of stuff to do, not sure how much is of interest to a 9-year old.  Multiple forts, houses that have tours, museums, nice walking town. Fairly nice shopping street.

I have stayed at the Hampton Inn in the historic district.  Can be a good option if you have Hilton points.

• 7 months later...

As other posters have said Hotels downtown can be pricey, but they put you in the middle of everything. If you stay in My Pleasant you can catch an Uber downtown. Do not stay in N. Charleston… not safe!!! You can also stay in hotels across the Ashley River. 

Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie are fun if you all like history!

Market Street , Meeting Street and especially King Street are great if y’all shop. 

Food:

Locals like … The wreck of the Richard and Charlene Seafood restaurant, known locally as The Wreck

106 Haddrell St.

Mt Pleasant SC

It is a no frills seafood joint, the only landlubber food they have is London broil and it is not so good.  Really good seafood, served in paper plates and you sit inside or outside.

we like Tommy Condons on 160 Church St in the historic district. A pub that has great food especially fish and chips. Indoor seating and a covered patio along the street

If you like something neat go to Fort Mountie on Sullivans Island. Edgar Allen Poe was stationed there and he wrote the short story The Gold Bug about the area. There is a restaurant there called Poe’s Tavern.  Nice beach area beside Fort Moultrie that faces the harbor

Be sure to try Shrimp and grits or She Crab soup or low country boil. All are a treat.

my wife live at the beach about 80 miles north of Charleston and we go to Charleston a lot

Hope this is helpful for you and others