Grand Princess - skipping Newcastle & heading back to Melbourne

Interesting that the ship has now disappeared from the NSW website. This morning’s website update had it at Tier 2, but the ship is no longer named on the website. That’s one way to stop the public finding out about the true covid situation onboard - just skip the port so you no longer have to report the cases to the only state that reports the tiers!

19 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Interesting that the ship has now disappeared from the NSW website. This morning’s website update had it at Tier 2, but the ship is no longer named on the website. That’s one way to stop the public finding out about the true covid situation onboard - just skip the port so you no longer have to report the cases to the only state that reports the tiers!

Doesn't Victoria advise the number of covid cases on cruise ships?  This cruise will be of particular interest because it has skipped Newcastle.

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Doesn't Victoria advise the number of covid cases on cruise ships?  This cruise will be of particular interest because it has skipped Newcastle.

I don't think Victoria publicly lists the ship status in the same way that NSW does.

It will be of interest to Victoria, as Grand Princess will report the numbers to their officials on Wednesday.

59 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Yes, they were at tier 2 this morning, so that can be anywhere between 3 & 9.9%.

I am sure it isn't to keep the numbers hushed, but it would be a problematic visit if everyone has to RAT before arriving or going ashore. It is also possible those round of tests might trigger tier 3, and then having to skip the port visit anyway.

Shame, I had my camera packed for a diversion over to Stockton for some ship photos tomorrow.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Have received text from Princess that embarkation on Thursday now delayed by 3 hours, so I'm assuming the process is being slowed by elevated covid cases onboard.

From comments here, her previous covid arrival had significant delays and Station Pier was a madhouse. Hopefully most take heed, and embarkation will be delayed, but smooth.

• Like 2

Very little on radio news here to day. I have heard nothing on the commercial stations, so it is almost like they didn't know there was a ship coming.

ABC radio had a bit this afternoon, talking about a number of covid "patients" aboard. The info they were quoting from CA is that the decision was made in consultation with the NSW government, who were concerned about the rise of covid transmission in the Hunter, so they decided to call the day visit off.

OK, between the lines means that NSW authorities required a negative RAT from passengers before they could go ashore, and Princess is hoping numbers will go down before arriving in Melbourne. 

Neil Mitchell loves a gee-up. I hope nobody from here has booked limo driver Scotty for their transfer home. 

https://www.3aw.com.au/covid-outbreak-on-cruise-ship-bound-for-melbourne/

• Thanks 1

As defined as any local info I could find, via the Newcastle Herald.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/story/8001327/cruise-ship-with-covid-outbreak-will-no-longer-dock-in-newcastle/

It is unclear exactly how many cases are on the Grand Princess, which can carry nearly 4000 passengers and crew, but local health authorities have been "advised there were a large number" .

A Hunter New England Health spokesperson said The Grand Princess was scheduled to dock in Newcastle on Tuesday, but the ship's operators decided to instead divert the ship to its port of origin in Melbourne.

"Prior to the decision being made, Hunter New England Local Health District's (HNELHD's) Public Health Unit had applied the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols, requesting that all passengers be tested prior to disembarkation, having been advised there were a large number of COVID-19 cases on board," they said.