Wheelchair Accessible tours

sanders

Hi ... I am going on the Brilliance of the Seas May 14th going to Sitka, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Haines, and Ketchikan... I have been researching but haven't quite found what I am looking for... I contacted RCCL about accessible excursions but wasn't completely confident in their response. I primarily use a wheelchair (manual) to get around but can walk a very limited amount if needed. I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of possible wheelchair accessible excursions for this itinerary? I am going with my sister and my niece.  Thanks in advance. 

Hmm?

My Princess cruise to Sitka,Juneau and Haines lists some wheel chair tour options

Have you tried putting "wheelchair accessible tours/port name"  into Google?

I will try to go into my cruise and find them for you but in the meantime I'd try that

7 hours ago, sanders said:

I contacted RCCL about accessible excursions but wasn't completely confident in their response. I primarily use a wheelchair (manual) to get around but can walk a very limited amount if needed. I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of possible wheelchair accessible excursions for this itinerary?

I am somewhat confused here as to what it is for which you are seeking accessibility. Transportation and other public accommodations are required to be accessible to persons with disabilities, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its implementing regulations, but I suspect that you already know that. So is it that you're looking for tour destinations that are, themselves, inherently accessible? For example, tour destinations involving hiking may not be inherently accessible. On the other hand, some activities, such as kayaking, might be adaptable for persons with disabilities. So is that you're looking for activities (i.e., tour destinations) that are accessible? Or is it that you have real concerns over the provider of transportation that the buses might not be accessible? (I note that Royal Caribbean International generally relies upon Premier Alaska Tours, Inc., as its contract motor carrier for bus tours, that carrier being of substantial size and experience, and for which I would expect it to be familiar with all the legal details of providing accessible transportation.)

I am looking for ideas of wheelchair accessible tours people have gone on yes. I was also curious where their were lifts on transpotation etc. Thanks for the help here... I will look into it more... appreciate the feedback.  Yes, I did happen to go to the RRCL site noted here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sanders said:

I was also curious where their were lifts on transportation etc. Thanks for the help here... I will look into it more... appreciate the feedback.

Transportation should not be a stumbling block. Effectively, the ADA requires all of the service providers to offer accessible transportation--without extra cost--and there are several resources where compliance assistance can help if a transportation is reluctant (though with a law that is over 30 years old it amazes me that some people continue being ignorant of its requirements). I think that what should be the focus of your inquiry is the various activities that are, themselves accessible, and don't worry so much about the transportation part.

I also endorse the comment of riffatsea, to address Royal Caribbean International at the specialized contact portal, as companies with such departments tend to take their accessibility responsibilities seriously, and they have the information and resources to do these things well. They usually work closely with their legal departments, to make certain they understand what is required and do it right. Their challenges are people in other departments (including sales people), many of whom are ignorant, indifferent, or sometimes hostile.