HIA purchased separately

julia

Trying to correctly insure my trip and I need to know if the HIA that was purchased separately (two weeks after booking) would be refundable?  On my invoice, it is rolled into the cruise price now (which increases the insurance amount on this long voyage).  Thanks for any help on this...

57 minutes ago, julia said:

Trying to correctly insure my trip and I need to know if the HIA that was purchased separately (two weeks after booking) would be refundable?  On my invoice, it is rolled into the cruise price now (which increases the insurance amount on this long voyage).  Thanks for any help on this...

It is part of the cruise price - so if you are insured, you get the money back - in the case of HAL”s insurance, it is 80 - 90% depending on which one you chose.

It is not refundable - at least, that is my understanding.

It may be covered by insurance but it is not refundable.  It came up on a thread last week and upon investigation that was indeed the case   I am talking about HIA that is bought separately 

Edited by Mary229

Update....  I posted the question here and to my travel agent.  His email just came in and I've copied below.  I'm inclined to think that purchased separately, it would be refundable in the event of trip cancelation.

"Good afternoon, I just got off the phone with the cruise line, explained your question and was confirmed that the HIA is refundable. I suppose you can look at it as a la carte item or add on separate from the actual cruise.

Yes :)"

• Like 2

Hold the door....  below is another email from my astute TA (transcript edits by me). A HAL rep previously gave him incorrect information (how surprising). Copied below:

Well, don't thank me yet...i just wanted to reassure and get something in writing, but i think whoever i spoke with on the phone was just trying to get me off the phone....I took it a step further just so you have something in writing for the "just in case" factor and actually learned something new...

Please read below:

• [Garrett] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...
  • [Garrett] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line my name is Garrett. How may I assist you?
  • [michael] hello how are you?
  • [Garrett] Hello Michael. I am well, I hope you are also. How can I help you today?
  • [michael] I just wanted to confirm that the HIA IS refundable if for whatever reason this booking were to be cancelled or interrupted
  • [michael] #####
  • [Garrett] I would be happy to review and advise. Can you verify your IATA or CLIA?
  • [michael] #####
  • [Garrett] Thank you. The Have it All promotion is added to the guests Base Cruise Fare, so it would fall under penalty with the base fare. These penalties have already started and will continue to increase until 05DEC22, which is the last increase to 100%.
  • [michael] but they purchased that separately so its an add on
  • [Garrett] It is an add on, but unlike normal add ons it is added to the base fare of the cruise. It follows the same cancellation structure the cruise does.
  • [michae] if they purchased the have it all separately from the cruise...as an addition, why wouldn't they get that money back?
  • [michael] i called HAL and i was told they would by one of your reps. now your telling me something different
  • [Garrett] Because it is built to be a booking promotion. Holland decided to make it available to guests who would like to avoid booking the Have it All fare code, but that did not change the terms of it. It still acts as an add on to the cruise cost.
  • [michael] an excursion is an add on...would they be treated the same way...excursions, drink packages. all addons
  • [Garrett] It is different than those add ons. This acts more like Hotels, Transfers and Air. Which are also add ons.
  • [michael] so your saying either way the HIA would fall under the same stipulation as the cruise fare concerning cancellation penalties?
  • [Garrett] Correct
  • [michael] Ok thank you for that information...were not taking any action, just gathering information
  • [Garrett] Understood and I am sorry for the misinformation provided. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

2 minutes ago, julia said:

Hold the door....  below is another email from my astute TA (transcript edits by me). A HAL rep previously gave him incorrect information (how surprising). Copied below:

Well, don't thank me yet...i just wanted to reassure and get something in writing, but i think whoever i spoke with on the phone was just trying to get me off the phone....I took it a step further just so you have something in writing for the "just in case" factor and actually learned something new...

Please read below:

• [Garrett] Welcome to Holland America Line. Chat service is available in English only. Please hold while we connect you to the next available agent...
  • [Garrett] Thank you for contacting Holland America Line my name is Garrett. How may I assist you?
  • [michael] hello how are you?
  • [Garrett] Hello Michael. I am well, I hope you are also. How can I help you today?
  • [michael] I just wanted to confirm that the HIA IS refundable if for whatever reason this booking were to be cancelled or interrupted
  • [michael] #####
  • [Garrett] I would be happy to review and advise. Can you verify your IATA or CLIA?
  • [michael] #####
  • [Garrett] Thank you. The Have it All promotion is added to the guests Base Cruise Fare, so it would fall under penalty with the base fare. These penalties have already started and will continue to increase until 05DEC22, which is the last increase to 100%.
  • [michael] but they purchased that separately so its an add on
  • [Garrett] It is an add on, but unlike normal add ons it is added to the base fare of the cruise. It follows the same cancellation structure the cruise does.
  • [michae] if they purchased the have it all separately from the cruise...as an addition, why wouldn't they get that money back?
  • [michael] i called HAL and i was told they would by one of your reps. now your telling me something different
  • [Garrett] Because it is built to be a booking promotion. Holland decided to make it available to guests who would like to avoid booking the Have it All fare code, but that did not change the terms of it. It still acts as an add on to the cruise cost.
  • [michael] an excursion is an add on...would they be treated the same way...excursions, drink packages. all addons
  • [Garrett] It is different than those add ons. This acts more like Hotels, Transfers and Air. Which are also add ons.
  • [michael] so your saying either way the HIA would fall under the same stipulation as the cruise fare concerning cancellation penalties?
  • [Garrett] Correct
  • [michael] Ok thank you for that information...were not taking any action, just gathering information
  • [Garrett] Understood and I am sorry for the misinformation provided. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

I respect your research and do believe it is correct but not all excursions, exec tours and hotels are refundable.   So relying on that premise is faulty. I think like much in the HAL universe you won’t know until you try it.  If I were to bet I would say yes it is refundable if you cancel the cruise for non-insurable reasons.  If you had an insurable  reason then it would be covered by insurance 

• Like 1