Leaving ship a day early when already docked

SMAP

I could not find an answer to this specific question in the forum. We are on a cruise that embarks and disembarks from Athens. On the return to Athens the ship is in port for 2 nights. Does anyone see an issue with leaving the ship after the first night and not returning?? We would be in port and allowed to come and go….. Who would we have to inform?

Looked into this just before the pandemic as we were thinking of disembarking in Naples because we wanted to spend a few days in Sorrento and it would save us a day of extra travel.

Bottom line - you need to let Celebrity know in advance that you want to do this due to local customs and immigration laws.  Celebrity will let you know whether you can legally disembark at another port or not.  It didn't appear to be a problem for Italy, but I don't know about Greece.  This also lets the ship know that you will not be returning so they don't spend time and resources trying to locate you.  You will be responsible for taking off your luggage.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sir William said:

Looked into this just before the pandemic as we were thinking of disembarking in Naples because we wanted to spend a few days in Sorrento and it would save us a day of extra travel.

Bottom line - you need to let Celebrity know in advance that you want to do this due to local customs and immigration laws.  Celebrity will let you know whether you can legally disembark at another port or not.  It didn't appear to be a problem for Italy, but I don't know about Greece.  This also lets the ship know that you will not be returning so they don't spend time and resources trying to locate you.  You will be responsible for taking off your luggage.  

Yes, for disembarking in a port that's not the final port. The OP wants to disembark in the final port -- one day early. Seems to me the ship's been cleared and you can go, but I would tell someone you won't be back.

I've done it a number of times in Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Singapore.   You do not need to apply in advance and pay a fee as you do if you leave during the cruise. 

As stated above you do need to let Guest Services know.   They have to make arrangements to make sure Customs and Immigration are available.   You will need to let them know of approximate timing of your departure.  Security is advised so you account is flagged and you will be allowed off with your luggage.

In our case we just walked off past the customs officials and took the green lane.

In Buenos Aires our butler bought our luggage down the shuttle bus from the ship to the Terminal and put it on the bus for us.   Was really easy.  

We arrived in Buenos Aires with friends on December 23 and chose to leave so we could get our AirBnB setup and shop for Christmas Dinner.   Worked perfect.