Keeping a Hawkeye on the Canal

BillB48

By a very roundabout way, I think we have an ID on our friend Hawkeye!  I sent my pic and a couple of the ones you posted to a friend who is currently on the Ruby Princess headed for the Canal.  He is their Canal Lecturer for this trip.  He thought it might have been an Harpy Eagle, he finally found a birder on the ship and the birder said it was an Osprey.

image.png.cbf9a4dd9c66f571f96f06d77780f537.png

• Like 1

No wonder it costs so much to do a Panama Canal Transit. This guy must make a fortune in overtime.

Many years ago my parents had a family friend who was  NY City subway conductor who had very high seniority in the system. A workday was defined by how many trips the conductor made, not the number of hours he worked. With his seniority he was able to get the plum assignment, the South Ferry Shuttle, which had only two stations that were very, very close to each other. A trip from one to the other took only a minute or two, so it was an overtime bonanza for him every day he worked even if he only worked a few hours.

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...

I also watch the antenna towers at the Pedro Miguel locks, and often see large black birds there.  Today there is one on the tower at bottom center.  It looks to have some white around the neck, so could be a bay falcon…EM

That’s Zaandam leaving the lock heading for Miraflores.

IMG_2253.jpeg