Operators selling tours at ports in New Zealand?

Nebr.cruiser

On a New Zealand cruise, will there be tour operators selling tours as we get off the ship or near the port area as there usually is in the Caribbean, Mexico, etc?  Or do we need to line up all tours ahead of time?  We much prefer independent tours rather than the ship tours.

Our ports are Dunedin (Port Chalmers) Christchurch (Lyttleton), Tauranga, Auckland and the Bay of Islands.  

Any insight on great tours also appreciated!

12 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

That's leaving it to chance. Why come all that way and risk it? 

We will probably book ahead, but just wondering if it is possible to pick up tours, if needed.  I'm having trouble finding independent tours that sound decent in some ports. Plus, 4 of us traveling but from 3 different locations make arranging things a little more difficult.

Will be visiting some of the same ports you are in January.  Booked a couple excursions through the cruise line, will do walking "tour" on our own at some ports, booked with Zealandier Tours for an excursion in Tauranga. They were very responsive to work with online.In Christchurch there is a free "penguin express" shuttle to the Antarctic Center if you are interested in that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

Will be visiting some of the same ports you are in January.  Booked a couple excursions through the cruise line, will do walking "tour" on our own at some ports, booked with Zealandier Tours for an excursion in Tauranga. They were very responsive to work with online.In Christchurch there is a free "penguin express" shuttle to the Antarctic Center if you are interested in that.

Thanks for the great ideas!

14 hours ago, Thunderbird19 said:

We are booked with Zealander for an excursion in Tauranga too now!  Thanks for the advice.  We may look into other tours with them.  

• Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 12:58 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

On a New Zealand cruise, will there be tour operators selling tours as we get off the ship or near the port area as there usually is in the Caribbean, Mexico, etc?  Or do we need to line up all tours ahead of time?  We much prefer independent tours rather than the ship tours.

Our ports are Dunedin (Port Chalmers) Christchurch (Lyttleton), Tauranga, Auckland and the Bay of Islands.  

Any insight on great tours also appreciated!

Would be interested in this as well for April on the Grand

On 12/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

I'm curious which tour you decided on for Tauranga. I looked at the Zealandier site, and found one that seems to do it all in 7 hrs.   Seems reasonably priced as well.  I just haven't booked yet as I'm still researching this port stop.

We are doing the Hobbiton Movie Set and Roturua Wonderland Tour.  It seemed to hit everything we wanted to see, with the exception of the glow worm caves, which I don't think is possible to do as well as everything else in one port stop.

• Like 1