When should OBC be asked for? Upon Checkin or after boarding?

BarbieGee

Having booked through a third party, I received OBC as a reward and I was emailed a voucher. I also purchased 2 $100 Carnival gift cards through AARP website and printed out their paper coupons.

Can these be added on to my S&S card upon checkin, then connect my account to my CC? I'd like to avoid Customer Services after boarding as I've heard it can become quite crowded during embarkation.

Should be able to give the gift cards to the person checking you in at the terminal.They ask if you'd like to add money to your account.

Obc you usually get a letter  saying thanks.  It should also be listed on your cruise documents depending on how it was given. 

19 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

Having booked through a third party, I received OBC as a reward and I was emailed a voucher. I also purchased 2 $100 Carnival gift cards through AARP website and printed out their paper coupons.

Can these be added on to my S&S card upon checkin, then connect my account to my CC? I'd like to avoid Customer Services after boarding as I've heard it can become quite crowded during embarkation.

Best to charge to your sail and sign, and then apply gift cards to charges. 

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Best to charge to your sail and sign, and then apply gift cards to charges. 

So, that would be the evening before disembarkation when we settle the bill? Apply the gift cards then?

3 hours ago, Sailin_Pirate said:

Obc you usually get a letter  saying thanks.  It should also be listed on your cruise documents depending on how it was given. 

I booked through 3rd party. They sent me an email with an attachment showing 'Cruise Credit'.

We paid this 3rd party for the trip, not directly to Carnival.

16 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

So, that would be the evening before disembarkation when we settle the bill? Apply the gift cards then?

Anytime after you make charges over the values of the gift cards.  This way should you not charge much, you keep your gift cards intact.  If you load into your S&S and for some reason, don't spend them up, you will have to have the gift cards re-issued

• Like 1

Here is what I do.  I buy enough gift cards for what I think we will spend on board.  I then use gift cards to purchase a small amount of Cruise Cash to get us started (normally around $100) so that I can avoid Guest Services for the first day or so.  I then go to GS or use the kiosk on board to apply my remaining gift card(s) to my S&S account.

If you don't use up all of your gift card amounts, they will send you a new gift card after the cruise for the remaining amount.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Here is what I do.  I buy enough gift cards for what I think we will spend on board.  I then use gift cards to purchase a small amount of Cruise Cash to get us started (normally around $100) so that I can avoid Guest Services for the first day or so.  I then go to GS or use the kiosk on board to apply my remaining gift card(s) to my S&S account.

If you don't use up all of your gift card amounts, they will send you a new gift card after the cruise for the remaining amount.

It is the potential issues with being re-issued a new gift card including having it disappear in the mail is why I am sure the charges are more than the gift card when I apply it