Pier 88 Manhattan - Snow?

Laszlo

• Laszlo changed the title to Pier 88 Manhattan - Snow?

Yes, they do.  But it's a single lane, and they can only push the snow to the end of the pier. What can happen (if it snow while you are away) is a ridge of snow is formed on either side of the plow path. When the snow freezes and thaws it can create a hard frozen ridge you need to either clear (with a shovel with a metal edge) or back over it (and hope you have clearance). Port staff sands / salts the spiral road way up to the parking deck. I could have made a lot of money shoveling folks out years ago... but wanted to get home. By the way, for fourteen cruises in February from NYC this has only happened to us once.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Yes, they do.  But it's a single lane, and they can only push the snow to the end of the pier. What can happen (if it snow while you are away) is a ridge of snow is formed on either side of the plow path. When the snow freezes and thaws it can create a hard frozen ridge you need to either clear (with a shovel with a metal edge) or back over it (and hope you have clearance). Port staff sands / salts the spiral road way up to the parking deck. I could have made a lot of money shoveling folks out years ago... but wanted to get home. By the way, for fourteen cruises in February from NYC this has only happened to us once.

Thanks, I figured as much just wasn't sure. I know enough from living in an area that gets snow to be prepared. Shovel in car, Boost Pack for jumping a battery and to park facing out

10 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Thanks, I figured as much just wasn't sure. I know enough from living in an area that gets snow to be prepared. Shovel in car, Boost Pack for jumping a battery and to park facing out

Laszlo,

We got off the Gem last year in a blizzard.  The ramps going down to the street level were cleared. The plow on the parking deck had made a few passes in the aisles. If you want to be able to pull straight out, you can’t park on either row of the outside spaces.  You have to pull in head first.  You might find a spot in the center where you can park to pull straight out.

Iimagine the worst case would be if it snows a couple of days before you get back and it freezes on your car.

Mike

• Like 1