Salerno cruise port to Positano and Amalfi

lisamlip

Our NCL cruise will be in port of Salerno on 5/24/2023 from 6am to 4pm.  I would like to visit Positano and Amalfi.  Has anyone done this using the ferries?  Are there many that run these routes daily?  Any idea what the fares are?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Edited by lisamlip

Ferries run throughout the day but don't start that early.  While there are several ferry companies, most are run by TravelMar.  They are shut down for the season but you can the times and prices here:  Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

Most of the ferries to/from Salerno use the Concordia dock, about a mile and a half walk along the waterfront promenade from the cruise port.  If the timing works for the Molo Manfredi ferry that's quite close.  However, the only departure is at 8:40, wasting the first few hours of your port day.

The returns to Molo Manfredi are too late for you, but it's easy enough to make the walk from Concordia.

If you decide to wait and take the ferry from Molo Manfredi, do purchase tickets ahead of time directly from TravelMar, as this one ferry does sell out.  The Concordia ferries generally don't need advance purchase, though I would buy my return ticket in the morning rather than wait since you must be back at the port at a specific time.

To make the most of your day, you could walk from the cruise port to villa comunale (public park) and get the SITA bus from there to Amalfi.  It's less than half a mile on foot, an easy walk.  There is a bus around 6:40 that gets you to Amalfi at 7:45:  Salerno-Amalfi SITA bus schedule

The bus fare is just 2,60 euro and you will pass a couple of bars (coffee shops) as you walk from the port where you can purchase the tickets.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's much too early!  The company is closed down for the winter.

Honestly, there is no need to buy these tickets in advance but I understand if you can't relax without them.  Wait until the season opens on April 1st before attempting to purchase them, and only buy through the ferry company and not a third party.

Here is the TravelMar official web site and ticket engine, when the time comes:  Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi! Did you go on the ferry at Salerno? Did you take the one from the terminal near the cruise ship terminal Molo Manfredi or the one by the Plaza della Concordia?

I'll be there in August and want to take the 8:40 am ferry by the cruise port if possible. My cruise ship docks at 7am and I'm not sure if that's enough time to get off the ship and get to the ferry. Can you tell me what was your experience?

If you're taking a ferry from Molo Manfredi you could walk there from your ship in less than five minutes.  Walking to Piazza Concordia would take 30 - 45 minutes (2.3 km/1.4 miles).  You'll have plenty of time to make an 8:40 ferry in either case.

NLG has a ferry that departs from Molo Manfredi at 8:20 AM and goes to Amalfi, Positano, and on to Capri.

NLG » Official website

TravelMar has a ferry from Molo Manfredi at 8:40 that goes to Amalfi, then on to Positano.

Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

Edited by euro cruiser

I bought tickets online ahead of time for the 8:40 ferry to Positano on NLG website.  Unfortunately, the day were were in Salerno the ferry to Positano was not running.  They are doing some repairs to the dock.  We did take the ferry to Amalfi instead.  It was very easy.  We left from Molo Manfredi which was right outside the cruise terminal.  When we came back we were dropped off at the Piazza Concordia. The walk back to the ship is not bad but it may be bad in the heat of August.   

Did you have a good time at Amalfi? Positano looks pretty but it seems like it would take a long time to get a taxi from the ferry terminal and not sure if it's worth it. I'm thinking about going to Amalfi in the morning, look around a bit and get lunch at 12pm (earliest lunch reservation) around the marina or the cathedral, then catch the 2pm ferry back to Salerno to make sure I don't miss the cruise boat (leaving at 6pm). On google maps, it looks like everything is so close to the ferry terminal. Is it really that close?

Then back at Salerno around 2:40pm and we still have time to have some dessert and make our way back to the cruise ship walking through the historic part of town (Via Mercanti).

Stella, it's not clear to me which ferry terminals you are referring to in the post above.

A long time to get a taxi from the Positano ferry terminal?  Or from Salerno to Positano?  Just FYI, there are no roads down at the beach in Positano, you must walk up from the dock into town.

• 3 months later...

Hiya - wondering if anyone can help with how early you need to arrive at the port! Our bus would drop us off at 8am at molo Manfredi port and our ferry is at 8:20. We’ve pre booked tickets but need to collect them at the ticket office before boarding - will this be enough time or do the gates close a while before boarding? 

• 6 months later...

This is great info, thank you for starting this topic @lisamlip.  We want to take the ferry to Amalfi, explore a bit then go to Ravello. It looks like we could take a taxi to Ravello then either come back to Amalfi to catch a return ferry or take a taxi or bus from Ravello to Salerno. We are in port from 8 to 5.   @euro cruiser do you have any thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, NBliving said:

This is great info, thank you for starting this topic @lisamlip.  We want to take the ferry to Amalfi, explore a bit then go to Ravello. It looks like we could take a taxi to Ravello then either come back to Amalfi to catch a return ferry or take a taxi or bus from Ravello to Salerno. We are in port from 8 to 5.   @euro cruiser do you have any thoughts on this?

It's a great plan. You have enough time to do both. You could take the taxi from Amalfi to Ravello first, go back to walk around Amalfi and take the ferry back. This avoids possible traffic delays with the bus.

• Thanks 1

Note that there are two different ferry docks at Salerno.  Molo Manfredi is in the same part of the port as the cruise terminal, so if you can get a ferry from there it will be easier.

There are two departures that would make sense for you, at 8:20 on NLG or 8:40 on Travelmar.

I would make advance reservations for these, because the cruise line will have already locked up places for their tours.

If for some reason you can't get on either of these, the Concordia dock that handles most of the Travelmar ferries is an easy walk of about a mile and a half along the waterfront promenade.

Travelmar schedule here:  Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

NLG here: NLG » Official website

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 2:48 PM, marazul said:

It's a great plan. You have enough time to do both. You could take the taxi from Amalfi to Ravello first, go back to walk around Amalfi and take the ferry back. This avoids possible traffic delays with the bus.

I like this plan.  Great idea.

On 4/23/2024 at 3:20 PM, euro cruiser said:

Note that there are two different ferry docks at Salerno.  Molo Manfredi is in the same part of the port as the cruise terminal, so if you can get a ferry from there it will be easier.

There are two departures that would make sense for you, at 8:20 on NLG or 8:40 on Travelmar.

I would make advance reservations for these, because the cruise line will have already locked up places for their tours.

If for some reason you can't get on either of these, the Concordia dock that handles most of the Travelmar ferries is an easy walk of about a mile and a half along the waterfront promenade.

Travelmar schedule here:  Orari traghetti Travelmar - Traghetti veloci in Costiera Amalfitana

NLG here: NLG » Official website

I think we could make the 8:40. My only concern is if there is a delay in letting us off the ship.  I looked at the ship's excursions and the earliest is 8:45.  There are several from the Concordia dock a little later so I may just make our reservation for the 9:40 ferry.