NCL: Wifi calling when in port?

UnbridledEnthusiasm

This is kind of hard to explain....

I plan on hopefully going on a cruise next month and I will need to be calling in sick each day (luckily the days I work will not be at sea days) for 3 days. My cell phone plan does not including calling  in Mexico or Canada. It is Red Pocket and although it uses AT&T towers, it will not work outside the US. 

Is NCL's wifi strong enough to allow me to make a call via wifi calling when in port?  While I know I can email, at my job  it's much more inconspicuous to call a random secretary I hardly know then to have email people at work. 

The ports that I will need to make a quick phone call from will be in Cabo, Mazatlán, and PV. In Cabo, I'm not sure if where we get off the ship (or boat if we tender) if there will be a liquor store or gas station  selling a cheap sim that I could quickly pop in and either make a wifi call or use whatever Mexican number I get. 

I'm traveling alone and I'm too shy to go up to people on the ship to see if anyone will let me use their phone to make a quick call when off the ship (plus I don't think someone will let some random woman just do it!). 

As back up I figure in advance to just buy a sim off Amazon for $30. 

Edited by UnbridledEnthusiasm

• 2 weeks later...