Hairdryer and hair straighteners

Edinburghgirl1

Yes, they are prohibited. It is about the electric wiring and the risk of fire when the network gets overcharged. Honestly, I can‘t remember any cruiseline allowing private devices in need of high electrical power, some have even a positive list what is allowed and everything not listed is forbidden. However, Costa has a fix installed hair dryer in every cabin. It takes a bit longer, since they are lower rated than usual ones, but it works.

2 hours ago, At7Seas said:

Yes, they are prohibited. It is about the electric wiring and the risk of fire when the network gets overcharged. Honestly, I can‘t remember any cruiseline allowing private devices in need of high electrical power, some have even a positive list what is allowed and everything not listed is forbidden. However, Costa has a fix installed hair dryer in every cabin. It takes a bit longer, since they are lower rated than usual ones, but it works.

I’ve cruised Azamara, Cekebrity RCL and NCL and these items are not prohibited only irons or steamers. It’s not so much the hairdryer as I’m sure I’d get by with the one provided but hair straighteners are essential to many women who don’t have poker straight hair including me! 

Well, NCL lists as prohibited: "Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element", RC: "Items that generate heat or produce an open flame". A lot of others have comparable rules. Celebrity generally bans heat-producing items as well, but indeed makes an exception for curling irons and hair straighteners (but not for hair dryers). For Azamara I didn't find a list during a quick search. How strict Costa will be is not predictable. I wear a short beard and maintain it with scissors, blades round edged and definitely below 7 cm and by this short enough to be allowed on cruise ships - until someone found that they would be dangerous. That time I ended my cruise with a long beard. So may be you will have curls when your cruise is over…

13 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Oh no. I bet you were taken task for that! I  take it they were not confiscated? Did she also take her own hairdryer? 

It came onboard in the suitcase so don't know if they are x-rayed or not. Yes, I was made to feel a little uncomfortable about the situation but after buying her some argon oil onboard at a bargain price it seemed to pacify the situation.

No, she didn't take her own hairdrier, she seldom uses one even at home.

• Like 1

X-raying suitcases really should be done, otherwise it would be ridiculous to do so with hand luggage by obvious reasons. But it is done by external security of course. I have no doubt that they all will act the same as soon as for example weapons are in a suitcase, but all the rest is difficult by different reasons: first the exact understanding of what is in the suitcase. Electric items aren‘t generally forbidden, so the human brain will look after typical forms, while the difference between scanned pictures and what we normally see can be enormous. Who ever was asked at airport or port to open a bag for further inspection knows that understanding all details can be difficult. And besides this the different lines have very different rules about prohibited items. Not to forget that we are talking about humans. The security who confiscated my scissors (the man has worn the uniform of a private company BTW) obviously was easy to scare and didn‘t follow Costa‘s rules, but made some of his own. This works in both directions of course, so port staff not knowing exactly the rules might allow banned things aboard as well.

• 1 month later...

Update

when checking in online hairdryer and straighteners were not listed as prohibited. Took both with no issues. Spoke to other passengers whilst onboard who also had brought theirs.  They must scan cases as heard someone had a travelling kettle confiscated. Think the Costa website has just never been updated. 

• Thanks 1