Escape traveling with kids questions

periatza34

I sailed on the Getaway back in 2016 for my honeymoon on my 2nd cruise ever.  Just booked my 3rd cruise on the Escape in April but with a family of 5!  Two teenage boys, a 5 year old girl, and my wife and I all in a family oceanview(woosah).  So family cruising is very new to me.

In reading the forums the last few weeks, I have noticed a lot of changes since 2016.  One being that I only get 1 specialty dining perk for a 7 day cruise instead of 3.  I was thinking about upgrading to the two extra for my wife and I but was wondering if I can bring my daughter to dinner and have her just order off of a complimentary kids menu, or would we have to buy her a dinner also?

My other question is about the entertainment.  First off it looks like Malevo was on this ship but no longer is.  Anyone know if they will be replaced(nothing shows up yet)?  Secondly, what shows are kid friendly?  Would it be fine to take a 5 year old to any of these shows(the choir of man/the supper club/dueling pianos/ect)?  I know they have the splash academy but I highly doubt she will let me leave her there while I go to a show.  I really don't want to leave the babysitting to the boys either.  Just trying to figure out all the things we can do at night as a family.

Entourage sounds like a cool thing for the teen boys to go to but they roll their eyes at me when I tell them about it.  Any way you think I could convince them that it will probably be something they want to do?

I feel like I had more questions but can't seem to think of them at the moment.  If you have any suggestions or tips for me to do on the escape with the family, I'd love to hear them!

Children can order off of the ship wide kids menu for free everywhere. I have had my 5 kids go to the teen club at 14, 15, 16 and 17 (boys and girls), they met so many others. It’s more of a way to meet others to spend every minute with for the rest of the cruise.

• Like 1

Do you want her to use the kids club?  If that’s important to you you need to know that ncl website has reported that each ship is setting its own kids club hours.  Some passengers have reported that there is no kids club on port days. My own kids just sailed rc last august and kept asking to go on vacation because they wanted to go back to the kids club. They’ve been disappointed in the kids club (my youngest is 4 so I don’t really know why - she just says they did more stuff on rc).  

you won’t have any trouble bringing the 5 year Od into restaurants and ordering off the kids menu. 

• Like 1

Kids club is not a big deal to me.  If she wants to go, which I highly doubt cause she is shy that way, I won't stop her.  Otherwise I'm completely fine doing everything with her.  I just want to know what things on the ship I can do with her.  What shows, if she will even enjoy them.  I also have family coming on this cruise so if my wife and I do want a date night to ourselves, I'm sure we can get it.

Sign all the kids up on the first day for the kid programs.  Even if she doesn’t go back until day 3 or 4, she will be allowed in because you registered her the first day.

There is a game room where you can play board games.  I think they often show pool side movies at night on the Lido deck.  There is the arcade room.  I am not sure what other kid friendly night activities there are besides the Kid’s Club.

I would think dueling pianos may be okay for all ages.

• Like 1

To get them interested, you could send them links to YouTube videos of the teen center, water parks, etc which are easy to find.

And/or just tell them that you and your spouse will occasionally be getting busy in your 200 square foot room. No teen will ever want to be present for that. This is not my idea btw; I have seen it before in this forum, maybe in the section for another cruise line. 

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, zzdoug said:

To get them interested, you could send them links to YouTube videos of the teen center, water parks, etc which are easy to find.

And/or just tell them that you and your spouse will occasionally be getting busy in your 200 square foot room. No teen will ever want to be present for that. This is not my idea btw; I have seen it before in this forum, maybe in the section for another cruise line. 

HAHA!  I think for a family cruise my wife and I can contain eachother for a week for the sake of our kids!  I will check out some youtube videos.  Thanks!