Escape vs Joy ( Haven specifically)

levonfan

Wife, daughter 10 and myself are looking at doing an NCL cruise for the first time.  We have only done RC before.  Wife seems to really like the Haven atmosphere especially during spring break.  Looking at possibly doing one of these ships.  Escape goes to DR, St. Thomas, Tortola, etc.  Joy goes to Roatan, Cozumel, Belize.  

Out of the two which is your favorite and why.  Wife and I are both in 40's early 50's.  Looking for relaxing but with stuff for daughter to do.  For those that have done NCL, what did you like about it better than RC?

Thanks!!

We've never been on the Escape, but the larger NCL ships are very similar. It depends on the types of things you think your daughter would enjoy and the locations you would prefer to visit. Escape has a ropes course and a zip line, Joy has go karts, virtual reality games/rides, and laser tag. They both have water slides and mini golf. Joy has a large observation lounge, plus a second one just for Haven guests - Escape does not (at least I don't think it does, I think those started with Joy, Encore, Bliss).

Port of calls, I would opt for the Escape as I prefer the Caribbean over Mexico, but that's just me. The Haven on the Joy was great, we'll be back on her in February. Look into the lower category Haven rooms (the ones on decks 14 & 15). They're larger in size and cheaper in price - so a good way to try out the Haven without breaking the bank. Short 2 flights of stairs up and you're in the Haven only areas with everyone else.

HH - Haven Suite w/Balcony

HI - Haven Penthouse Suite w/Balcony

HJ - Haven Family Villa Suite w/Balcony

The family villa has a murphy bed that folds down from the wall, so it's a bit better than a couch bed. And the room is huge with a curtain you can pull across for a little privacy for your daughter. 

As for comparing it to RCC, we only sailed Royal shortly after the pandemic reopening and it was on a smaller ship (Jewel of the Seas). We found the fellow passengers much less chatty and harder to make friends with. It was hard to find a low key meal (simple burger, wings, or a sandwich) - everything was either specialty dining or main dining room with a 2.5 hr dinner (buffet was only open for lunch on our sailing due to Covid). So we definitely liked the NCL options for food better, but will give RCC a try in more distant post-Covid times. Entertainment on RCC was only trivia, trivia, or more trivia. Again, probably because of Covid reopening, but we actually felt bored and were in bed by 10pm most nights. On NCL, especially in the Haven, we're at the bar until they kick us out and always find new friends to chat with so we definitely liked the vibe better on NCL. 

Unless you sail on a mega ship with RCC in a Star suite, it seems the experience for suite guests is nothing to write home about on RCC. We haven't found a sailing that was in our comfortable price range yet on RCC to try that posh experience out yet, so we stick with NCL.

• Like 1

Joy's Haven courtyard has 1 hot tub while Escape's Haven courtyard has 2.

Joy's (larger) Haven sundeck has 2 hot tubs while Escape's Haven sundeck has 1...but both Haven sundecks are for 16 and older so that might not matter.

Joy has the Observation Lounges (1 for Haven, 1 for all) while Escape does not.

Escape has more deck space outside of the Haven that is available to all. Both ships have similar water slides while Joy has the (shortest in the fleet) go-kart track.

Escape has a Mandara Spa while Joy does not. Escape has 95 staterooms with Haven access while Joy has 118.

Of the 2 itineraries, it would depend on what you want to do excursion wise and where you have or haven't been.

Both are fine ships especially when sailing in the Haven. You can't go wrong with either.

• Like 1