Mendenhall Glacier shuttle

Mickey's favorite

I checked with the private tour companies for whale watching and they no longer will transport to the glacier. There is a shuttle you can take from the port to the glacier and I am wondering what are peoples thoughts on that and who do you book the shuttle through? Also how much did you pay?  Thanks I’m advance. 

Here is a tour company:

https://www.mmtoursofjuneau.com/product-page/blue-glacier-express

If you are going whale watching - I would recommend that you just have the whale watching tour call for a taxi and have a taxi take you to Mendenhall Glacier (tell them beforehand, when making reservation or before the day of). They are both on the same part of town. The last thing you want to do is go back to downtown Juneau and then take the shuttle. A lot of wasted time traveling from one end of town to another.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

We have been on the whale watching only tours from these guys at least 4 times (jet boats are from Orca Enterprises) and they certainly drop off at the glacier if you want.  Going north in September we just took the blue bus from the Roberts Tram but turned out when we came back south we were surprised to see that the whale watch bus driver was the same one we had ridden with a week earlier

and she did drop some of our group up there. 

https://alaskashoretours.com/excursions/juneau/whale-watching-mendenhall-glacier-tour/

It looks like at least one of these tours is actually be operated by Juneau Whale Watch. If so, the tours can be booked direct through the vendor at: https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com/

We’ve also been out with them 4 times. We’ve had about 25 individuals on each trip on the two-deck boat with plenty of room at the rail and they also drop at Mendenhall Glacier with their combo tour and then take you back to the ship.

Any recent info on the glacier shuttle pricing from the port?  We may book the salmon bake with our cruise line but their combo excursion has the bake in the evening as we are in Juneau until 10pm. I’d rather do the bake for lunch at 1.30 (which we can do through the cruise line as a stand-alone) and then go to Mendenhall after which is only an option if we do the glacier on our own. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 9:01 PM, Mickey's favorite said:

I checked with the private tour companies for whale watching and they no longer will transport to the glacier. There is a shuttle you can take from the port to the glacier and I am wondering what are peoples thoughts on that and who do you book the shuttle through? Also how much did you pay?  Thanks I’m advance. 

Are you sure there are not tour companies that don't do both as a combo?  I'm looking for a combo tour myself and I see a number do both.  Just curious as what do you see that I'm missing?  Thanks.

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, EmTeeNesters said:

When we went to Juneau via cruise ship several years ago, there were multiple companies at the port offering round trip bus shuttle to Mendenhall for $10pp.   Is this still the case?

No. The price has gone up quite a bit ($45 for an adult round trip) and due to permits from the US Park Services - the Glacier Express bus (Blue Bus and whoever runs the White Bus) last year ran out of permits the first of July. Thus, they stopped running to the glacier.

Edited by Coral

• 3 weeks later...