Internet Package 2 Devices

txmommy2

I want to confirm that 2 devices does not have to be the same 2 devices. For instance, I can use multiple devices (phone - to stream music, iPad, computer, etc.) but only have 2 logged in at any given time. I posed this question to customer service and they said that is correct but did not seem too sure of the answer. Thanks

Yes, if you have the internet pkg with 2 devices you can have any 2 connected at one time.  If you have your phone connected and your tablet connected, you can shut off the connection on your tablet and then a family member could log in with their phone or whatever.  Just 2 devices at one time.

• Like 2

You are correct you can log in as many different devices as you want; but only two at the same time.  If you are getting a two device package have one person buy it on their reservation.  I found it much cheaper the more devices you add on a single account.  I bought a four device package in July and the fourth device only cost me $4 per day.  

• Like 1

Unless you absolutely have to use the internet at the same time with others, I'd just get the single package.  I shared my Internet package with my family, total of 6 of us, all having their own devices.  We just didn't do it at the same time.  That's when our internet package wasn't included in the fare. To be open about it, my family isn't Internet hooked, like I am.  So, I missed nothing or next to nothing.  On a cruise, I generally just up load photos/video to the cloud.  On a cruise, I don't visit social media much.

• Like 1

Please forgive me if this a “Captain Obvious” question. Booked on Voyager (sailing on 3/5/2023) w/wife and a good friend of ours. Our friend I each signed up for VROOM to be able to keep in touch both onboard & off. Didn’t but an additional VROOM for my wife because it seemed a bit redundant. My wife likes to play Wordless etc. on her Kindle Fire 10. If she has these word game apps (and books) downloaded on her tablet does she need internet to access & play ?)

2 hours ago, hoebo said:

Please forgive me if this a “Captain Obvious” question. Booked on Voyager (sailing on 3/5/2023) w/wife and a good friend of ours. Our friend I each signed up for VROOM to be able to keep in touch both onboard & off. Didn’t but an additional VROOM for my wife because it seemed a bit redundant. My wife likes to play Wordless etc. on her Kindle Fire 10. If she has these word game apps (and books) downloaded on her tablet does she need internet to access & play ?)

The books should be fine - I'm able to read ebooks, no problem, on my Kindle without internet. The games might be a different story, and that is dependent by game. Some games require internet and many don't. She can try ahead of time with her favorites by putting her device on airplane mode or turning off wifi prior to the cruise and testing the games at home.

1 minute ago, pittnh said:

has anyone used the RCI chat app while onboard to keep in touch with everyone in your party?  I think it is $3 a day?  I saw this on a youtube video but it really isn't mentioned anywhere on the RCI website

Free now, no more charge in 2023. Kids need to be 13 to have their own account in the app. Also the app probably won't notify you for a new message - you'll have to manually check to see if someone sent a message (I've seen one report that they did get notifications from the app about messages but mostly people say they aren't notified). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pittnh said:

has anyone used the RCI chat app while onboard to keep in touch with everyone in your party?  I think it is $3 a day?  I saw this on a youtube video but it really isn't mentioned anywhere on the RCI website

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

Free now, no more charge in 2023. Kids need to be 13 to have their own account in the app. Also the app probably won't notify you for a new message - you'll have to manually check to see if someone sent a message (I've seen one report that they did get notifications from the app about messages but mostly people say they aren't notified). 

It's now free and if you go to your phones settings, select apps, select the Royal app you can then change the notification settings and the notifications work just fine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's now free and if you go to your phones settings, select apps, select the Royal app you can then change the notification settings and the notifications work just fine. 

I hope that means that you don't have to download Whatsapp to keep in touch with the Genie. 

I download Whatsapp just for a specific cruise then uninstall it (Royal's app too) when I complete the cruise.

9 hours ago, hoebo said:

My wife likes to play Wordless etc. on her Kindle Fire 10. If she has these word game apps (and books) downloaded on her tablet does she need internet to access & play ?)

Only if they are interactive games does she need internet.  My DW likes Wordle and that needs internet.  Keep in mind putting all your Voom on one account might be cheaper than everybody getting their own.  You might find adding the third device for her isn't all the much more.  I download all my books to my eBook before we leave along with any movies from Netflex to my Ipad I want to watch on the plane.  That way no internet needed for those items.   

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Very unlikely any Genie will contact you via the RCI chat function within the app. 

Do you know why?

Edited on:  I'm only talking about while actually on the ship.

Edited by Ret MP

On 1/13/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ret MP said:

Unless you absolutely have to use the internet at the same time with others, I'd just get the single package.  I shared my Internet package with my family, total of 6 of us, all having their own devices.  We just didn't do it at the same time.  That's when our internet package wasn't included in the fare. To be open about it, my family isn't Internet hooked, like I am.  So, I missed nothing or next to nothing.  On a cruise, I generally just up load photos/video to the cloud.  On a cruise, I don't visit social media much.

I will be sailing in March with a friend.  We are trying to figure out if we both need to purchase internet packages.  If I understand your post correctly, we could purchase one package and as long as we aren't connected on two separate devices at the same time we would only need  a single package. Is the package linked to a single device?  Thank you for your help.

7 minutes ago, Sandie said:

I will be sailing in March with a friend.  We are trying to figure out if we both need to purchase internet packages.  If I understand your post correctly, we could purchase one package and as long as we aren't connected on two separate devices at the same time we would only need  a single package. Is the package linked to a single device?  Thank you for your help.

Yes!  You log in on your device and play around for an hour, log out, your SO or friend logs in after you on his/her device using the same log-in name/email address and password as you just used.  Not a problem, at all.  

15 minutes ago, Sandie said:

BTW, it's no different than you using several different devices of your own.  Use your laptop in the cabin, your Tablet next to the pool, and your phone while in the MDR.  Just not at the same time.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Do you know why?

Edited on:  I'm only talking about while actually on the ship.

Because it’s probably not a reliable enough way to contact guests plus the Genie would have to set up and keep track of the different guests’ contact info separately. 

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Because it’s probably not a reliable enough way to contact guests plus the Genie would have to set up and keep track of the different guests’ contact info separately. 

That's what, at least on my last Star Cruise in May, the Genie did with WhatsApp.  He set it up on all of our phones.  I think it actually tracked us, too.  Wherever we were/went on the ship, the Genie showed up.  Anyway, I was thinking the Royal App could do that, too.  I don't know enough about it.  I was just hoping.

I'm confused as well.  I'm taking my 3 grands and I don't understand the difference between getting a package with 4 devices and 4 Voom and Streaming packages other than the $60 difference.  I want to be sure we can all watch a movie or keep in touch with their friends, etc when we return to the cabin for the evening.   Help!

7 minutes ago, CoolChange37 said:

I'm confused as well.  I'm taking my 3 grands and I don't understand the difference between getting a package with 4 devices and 4 Voom and Streaming packages other than the $60 difference.  I want to be sure we can all watch a movie or keep in touch with their friends, etc when we return to the cabin for the evening.   Help!

• One package with 4 devices = one set of log on information that can be used on 4 different devices at the same time (less expensive)
  • Four packages = 4 sets of different log on information where each can be used on 1 device at a time (more expensive)

The one package with 4 devices can be shared. The only time that one package with 4 devices might be a problem is if someone using the plan has two or more devices and forgets to log off when they switch. Since the log on information is shared, someone will get kicked off (I don't think anyone has figured out the logic behind which device gets kicked off). If everyone only has one device or everyone is really good about logging off before switching devices, you won't have any problems. 

My family of 4 used the one package/4 devices on our last cruise and will again on our upcoming cruise. Saved us a lot of money. The only time we had a problem is when I decided to download some additional shows one night for our trip back. I thought I logged out of my phone, but it didn't completely go through before I logged on to my tablet. That bumped off one of my teens, who logged back in, which bumped off the other teen, then they called me from the first one's phone and I realized that they shouldn't have been able to reach my phone because I had logged it off... oh wait...oops

I'd definitely buy the one user, 4 device package for a significant savings and then just make sure everyone in your group knows to only use one device at a time. 

18 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Yes!  You log in on your device and play around for an hour, log out, your SO or friend logs in after you on his/her device using the same log-in name/email address and password as you just used.  Not a problem, at all.  

Thank you so much for your reply and explanation.  This really helps! 

• Like 1