Quantum Beds, Any Good?

On 4/20/2023 at 10:02 AM, Garmy44 said:

I believe Royal uses pillow top mattresses in JS and above on all ships. All other rooms in all ships, with the exception of Wonder, have the rock hard ones. I have been on many ships and Wonder (in cabins below JS) has been the only one so far I did not use my foam topper that I always bring.

We had two JS rooms on Anthem earlier this month and I can tell you the mattresses were the worst we have ever had on any RC ship...no pillow top whatsoever. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 5:57 AM, Luv2teachandcruise said:

We had two JS rooms on Anthem earlier this month and I can tell you the mattresses were the worst we have ever had on any RC ship...no pillow top whatsoever. 

To Garmy44, how do you carry your foam topper? I'm thinking of plane travel but maybe you are able to drive to your port. I can see packing them in a box as extra luggage while in original shrink wrap but how about after using. Thank you for your input (if you see this).

Rainey

Currently onboard the Quantum...17N... Brisbane to Honolulu...Day14.

Requested a mattress topper before our sailing...and one layer of duvet was placed on top of our mattress. Perfectly fine...been sleeping like a baby.

* The mattress/bed would've been too hard for us without the duvet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2023 at 2:30 AM, peacefulOR said:

To Garmy44, how do you carry your foam topper? I'm thinking of plane travel but maybe you are able to drive to your port. I can see packing them in a box as extra luggage while in original shrink wrap but how about after using. Thank you for your input (if you see this).

Rainey

We just got back from the Panama Canal transit on the Radiance.  Their beds were also very hard.  We took a foam mattress topper in a suitcase.  We put it in a Space Bag and vacuumed the air out of it, so it was very flat and fit in the bottom of a suitcase.  We also had a pillow top for it, which we did the same with.  We were flying Southwest (2 checked bags per person), so we took an extra suitcase for the mattress toppers, and filled the rest of it with shoes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMcCarren said:

We just got back from the Panama Canal transit on the Radiance.  Their beds were also very hard.  We took a foam mattress topper in a suitcase.  We put it in a Space Bag and vacuumed the air out of it, so it was very flat and fit in the bottom of a suitcase.  We also had a pillow top for it, which we did the same with.  We were flying Southwest (2 checked bags per person), so we took an extra suitcase for the mattress toppers, and filled the rest of it with shoes.

What a great idea....I forgot about how well the Space Bags work! Thank you for your input. I've seen the packaged foam toppers in stores and they are a large cube so your idea is much better.

I had talked to RCI over a month ago requesting a topper or even two.  I told them I knew foam toppers/eggcrates were no longer used.  The guy insisted they were.  Hmmm.  Well, today I spoke to special needs and they confirmed the previous request was on my account and that I’m correct—no foam. But they will add the other type.  She said the cabin steward should be able to put the topper(s) on before making up our bed.  I hope so.  Don’t want to make him remake the whole bed, although if it’s not soft enough, he will anyway.  Sure wish they would just get new mattresses similar to Princess. 

• Like 1

We were on the Quantum a week ago and the beds were as hard as a rock. We did ask for and received toppers prior to boarding. I can’t say it did much help. We had two balcony cabins on the 8th floor. All beds were the same. They definitely do not use egg crate toppers anymore. It’s basically just a thin duvet under the sheet. We’ve been on Princess many times and just sailed on Celebrity in January and have never had issues with the beds. Our sailing on the Allure last February and this sailing both had VERY hard mattresses. ☹️