Penguins Volunteer Point - All Booked in Falkland - Options? Puerto Madelyn Or Usuahia

Alextrainer

On Feb 9 2023, all tours are booked to go to Volunteer Point for my party of four on HAL Oosterdam.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/S3N22B/O311.html

Are there 4x4s at port that offer the same 2 hour one way service at the port? Of course there is no commentary in a hired car.

What did you pay per person in USD for a Volunteer Point tour? Is $175 pp about the cost?

In Puerto Madelyn (9a to 5p in port) and Usuahia (9a-3:30i port) I guess maybe only PMadelyn may work for a long day but I dont see tours on line that would work. Are the penguins at these ports like at Volunteer Port with walking on the beach after going through rough terrrain on 4x4 2 hours one way?

Other ports where walking with penguins is there?

I know there may be penguins in the distance in Antarctica and other viewable points along the way.

Thanks so much.

Edited by Alextrainer
additional content

• Alextrainer changed the title to Penguins Volunteer Point - All Booked in Falkland - Options? Puerto Madelyn Or Usuahia
36 minutes ago, Alextrainer said:

On Feb 9 2023, all tours are booked to go to Volunteer Point for my party of four on HAL Oosterdam.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/S3N22B/O311.html

Are there 4x4s at port that offer the same 2 hour one way service at the port? Of course there is no commentary in a hired car.

What did you pay per person in USD for a Volunteer Point tour? Is $175 pp about the cost?

In Puerto Madelyn (9a to 5p in port) and Usuahia (9a-3:30i port) I guess maybe only PMadelyn may work for a long day but I dont see tours on line that would work. Are the penguins at these ports like at Volunteer Port with walking on the beach after going through rough terrrain on 4x4 2 hours one way?

Other ports where walking with penguins is there?

I know there may be penguins in the distance in Antarctica and other viewable points along the way.

Thanks so much.

To go to Volunteer Point you need to book a round trip tour in a 4x4.  You just don't hire a car to take you there like a taxi.  It's an all day affair and best to go with a fleet of 4x4's because if one gets stuck, there are others to pull you out.  In 2020 we used Patrick Watts and the cost of was $179.  This tour is nice because you will see 3 different kinds of penguins.

In Puerto Madryn you have a couple choices to see Magellan penguins.  One is Punta Trombo and the other is on Peninsula Valdez at Estancia San Lorenzo.  We used Sentir Patagonia for Peninsula Valdez.  We saw every kind of animal it was possible to see there except the Right Whales as they leave in December and Orcas as the tide was out.  We walked through penguins, their burrows and young.  Had a lunch of lamb at the Estancia.  It was an awesome day.  There were 4 of us and I think $200 pp

• Like 1

There is more than one option (volunteer point) in the Falklands. Look at Gypsy cove, Bluff cove lagoon,  Newmans station and Berthas beach.

If you’re going to Punta Arenas you can walk with thousands of penguins at Magdalena island. Ushuaia has some good options as well like Martillo island. Puerto Madryn has Punta Tombo and El Pedral… lots of opportunities. 

Edited by WNcruiser