Should I book airfare with AMAWaterways or with the airline directly?

NMTraveller

It depends.  On where you are flying from; whether you are flying in early or staying late; whether you are flying home from the airport they expect; and whether you want to fly coach, premium economy, or business.  The only way to find out is to research the retail airfare options [I use https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search and then doublecheck my choices on the airline websites] and then ask the cruise line what they can do.  Sometimes it works out – and they throw in free transfers – but sometimes they are more expensive.

There's also a double-edged sword when problems arise.  If you cancel the cruise, they cancel the airfare booked through them.  But if the airlines change their schedules, you may have more control rebooking your independent flights.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Will my cruise TA be able to book directly with the airlines or should I book directly myself?

Most if not all TAs will be able to book airline tickets directly with the airlines, should you want that. Some TAs might have access to discounted fares that you may not be able to get. Some might not. Or you might be able to score discounted flights on your own (for example, through the AMEX Platinum program).

As above, it all depends on how much help you want vs how comfortable you are doing things on your own. Sometimes the cruise company air is a better deal. Sometimes their airfare is cheap, but it's a lousy itinerary. There is no one-size-fits-all answer.

I do all of our own air, but I'm comfortable with that and I like to have control of which airline, which connection(s), and the exact time that we're flying. Even then, I can't always get exactly what I want, but I know exactly what I'm getting (until the airlines change their schedule...).

Cruise air may be limited in terms of what airport you can depart from, what airlines they can use in certain markets, and when you can fly. You will likely pay a deviation fee if your schedule varies too much from the dates of the cruise.

The only way to answer your question is for you to ask to see what flights and prices the cruise line proposes, and to see if those are OK with you. If not, look at other options either yourself, or have your TA look for you.

I've done well with both.  Just a matter of making a list of all the variables for each choice and it should be obvious which is best.  If you're inexperienced booking air, using a real TA or your cruiseline's air desk might be the best choice.  Don't use an online booking service; book direct with the airline.  Always good to arrive at least one day before you board ... we like to spend a couple of days at our destination as well.  

• Like 2