Car service for tour to London from Heathrow airport hotel.

Because of the coronation, vast areas of central London will be closed to ordinary traffic on 6 May, and may not have fully reopened by the following day.  So I'm not convinved a car service is your friend here.  Depending on which hotel you are booked in, using train or tube is likely to be quicker, get you access to more areas, and vastly cheaper.  Which train or tube option depends on which hotel you are starting from

Just to reinforce what Island2Dweller has said (all of which I agree with), and to add my two cents' worth...

Which train or tube option is best for you depends not only on which hotel you're starting from, but which part of London you're going to.  "London" covers a vast area, so it really matters where specifically in London you want to go and what you want to see and do when you get there.

Personally, I would take the Elizabeth Line to Tottenham Court Road, or the Underground to, say, any of the stations on the Circle/District line between St James's Park and Tower Hill, depending on my ultimate destination.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, Island2Dweller said:

Because of the coronation, vast areas of central London will be closed to ordinary traffic on 6 May, and may not have fully reopened by the following day.  So I'm not convinved a car service is your friend here.  Depending on which hotel you are booked in, using train or tube is likely to be quicker, get you access to more areas, and vastly cheaper.  Which train or tube option depends on which hotel you are starting from

We are booked at Rubens at the Palace. We arrive on May 6th. Will we be able to get a taxi from Heathrow to our hotel?

49 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

We are booked at Rubens at the Palace. We arrive on May 6th. Will we be able to get a taxi from Heathrow to our hotel?

They haven’t announced road closures yet but that hotel is very close to Buckingham Palace and the area will be extremely busy.

I would have a Plan B ready. Such as using the Piccadilly line tube from Heathrow to Barons Court, changing on to the District line to Victoria (easy cross platform interchange, no steps involved) then a 10 minute walk.

52 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

They haven’t announced road closures yet but that hotel is very close to Buckingham Palace and the area will be extremely busy.

I would have a Plan B ready. Such as using the Piccadilly line tube from Heathrow to Barons Court, changing on to the District line to Victoria (easy cross platform interchange, no steps involved) then a 10 minute walk.

I appreciate the information. We aren't young so I sure pray that isn't the only option. Our flight arrives at 10:35am. I am hoping that all eyes and people will be at the cathedral at that time and we can sneak in. I'm sure it will be at a premium but I'm hoping. 

2 hours ago, MELSMOM47 said:

I am hoping that all eyes and people will be at the cathedral at that time and we can sneak in.

That's not really how security at State occasions works! If the road is closed, it's closed. 

Based on precedent of other Royal occasions involving Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey (NOT cathedral), the road immediately outside the Rubens, Buckingham Palace Road, will be closed. However, the location is right on the edge of the usual cordon sanitaire, and the road alongside the hotel (Bressenden Place) will be open. How close to the junction, and therefore the hotel, you could be dropped off I don't know, but the hotel has been through this sort of thing many times and will be able to advise in due course. And as Gumshoe rightly says, the area will be very busy before, during and after the ceremony. 

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

3 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

That's not really how security at State occasions works! If the road is closed, it's closed. 

Based on precedent of other Royal occasions involving Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey (NOT cathedral), the road immediately outside the Rubens, Buckingham Palace Road, will be closed. However, the location is right on the edge of the usual cordon sanitaire, and the road alongside the hotel (Bressenden Place) will be open. How close to the junction, and therefore the hotel, you could be dropped off I don't know, but the hotel has been through this sort of thing many times and will be able to advise in due course. And as Gumshoe rightly says, the area will be very busy before, during and after the ceremony. 

Thank you.