New Cruiser... wondering about Port cancellations 🤷‍♀️

MommaShandy73

I'm on the sailing before you I think, on the Gem. We had a similar itinerary, also cancelled Turks and Caicos. They didn't say why they cancelled. I can only guess that it's because Turks and Caicos is only allowing vaccinated individuals on the island. So it's possible that NCL didn't want to deal with that, since right on the front of the website it says no vaccines required. Or, for whatever reason, Turks and Caicos made a decision not to allow NCL ships to dock. But it's all purely speculation because they didn't give a reason. 

58 minutes ago, MommaShandy73 said:
2/27 NCL...DR & Turks/Caicos cruise booked and they have cancelled the Turks/Caicos port... how do I find out why? Wondering because it's the reason we booked this trip...

You won’t be able to find out why, you can only speculate. T&C is Carnival owned which probably has something to do with it. 

BTW never book a cruise for specific ports they can change and often do and that is for every line. 

1 hour ago, MommaShandy73 said:
2/27 NCL...DR & Turks/Caicos cruise booked and they have cancelled the Turks/Caicos port... how do I find out why? Wondering because it's the reason we booked this trip...

As an FYI, never book a cruise to guarantee to see a particular port. Land vacation only for a guarantee. 

You can always check on the official port schedule website for information. Do not look at a third party site, official only for real information. 

My last two cruises had significant port changes. I really didn't care, and I was anticipating changes. 

Turks and Caicos is a nice spot with nice beaches. It really isn't much different than many other Caribbean islands.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, AwesomO said:

I'm on the sailing before you I think, on the Gem. We had a similar itinerary, also cancelled Turks and Caicos. They didn't say why they cancelled. I can only guess that it's because Turks and Caicos is only allowing vaccinated individuals on the island. So it's possible that NCL didn't want to deal with that, since right on the front of the website it says no vaccines required. Or, for whatever reason, Turks and Caicos made a decision not to allow NCL ships to dock. But it's all purely speculation because they didn't give a reason. 

What was your itinerary changed to?  Did you get a sea day or was it replaced?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Hi, they cancelled T/C and changed it to Bermuda,  as well as Antigua changed to St. Thomas USVI. All great spots!  Super excited still, just wanted to see T/C before we book there.  We usually travel annually and we're looking for new destinations! 😊  

Hope you have a fabulous cruise!

3 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Turks and Caicos and St. Martin were removed and replaced with Bermuda and Puerto Rico. Bermuda especially bothers me because it's not even the Caribbean. I'd have been happy with basically any other Caribbean island as I just want warmth and beaches, basically. I could have chosen another itinerary on a more modern ship that sails to Florida and Bahamas or Bermuda, but sometimes those destinations aren't always beach weather in February so I went with the Gem to the Caribbean. I wasn't married to the idea of DR or T&C or anything, but I don't think it's too much to ask to expect at least remain in the Carribbean (unexpected weather aside).

I know ports can change at any time. I know they don't do it for fun. But NCL definitely would have happier customers if they announced changes prior to final payment for things that aren't exactly unexpected so that we at least have a choice in the matter. It is what is. It's still 10 days of vacation so we will still make the best of it and have a good time being together as a family. But this might be our last time cruising (which is not said as a threat, because I know NCL doesn't care, just saying it matter of fact).

Also there's some speculation that there may be additional changes to our itinerary coming, as some of our group have noticed something funky going on with our excursions. Two ports have had their excursions removed from the app, and someone who's previously booked excursions that had been automatically adjusted the first time itinerary changes were made have found the excursion moved again. Just speculation at this point, but all we can do is wait.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AwesomO said:

Turks and Caicos and St. Martin were removed and replaced with Bermuda and Puerto Rico. Bermuda especially bothers me because it's not even the Caribbean. I'd have been happy with basically any other Caribbean island as I just want warmth and beaches, basically. I could have chosen another itinerary on a more modern ship that sails to Florida and Bahamas or Bermuda, but sometimes those destinations aren't always beach weather in February so I went with the Gem to the Caribbean. I wasn't married to the idea of DR or T&C or anything, but I don't think it's too much to ask to expect at least remain in the Carribbean (unexpected weather aside).

I know ports can change at any time. I know they don't do it for fun. But NCL definitely would have happier customers if they announced changes prior to final payment for things that aren't exactly unexpected so that we at least have a choice in the matter. It is what is. It's still 10 days of vacation so we will still make the best of it and have a good time being together as a family. But this might be our last time cruising (which is not said as a threat, because I know NCL doesn't care, just saying it matter of fact).

Also there's some speculation that there may be additional changes to our itinerary coming, as some of our group have noticed something funky going on with our excursions. Two ports have had their excursions removed from the app, and someone who's previously booked excursions that had been automatically adjusted the first time itinerary changes were made have found the excursion moved again. Just speculation at this point, but all we can do is wait.

Bermuda is a massive upgrade over T&K

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Epic 3/12 just cancelled Bonaire and substituted Grenada.

Reason given was port congestion…really?? 🤔

I think the only actual congestion is the amount of $1,000,000's in Frankie boy and Harry's bonus. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Bermuda is a massive upgrade over T&K

Maybe in general, but I'm traveling with kids and was looking for easy beach days. T&C is the easiest they come. Bermuda will possibly be too cold for the beach so I avoided it intentionally. Hopefully warm enough that they can at least play in the sand. Our port time is pretty short as it is. 11-4.  

• Like 1

Just now, AwesomO said:

Maybe in general, but I'm traveling with kids and was looking for easy beach days. T&C is the easiest they come. Bermuda will possibly be too cold for the beach so I avoided it intentionally. Hopefully warm enough that they can at least play in the sand. Our port time is pretty short as it is. 11-4.  

You have to pay, but there is a beach within walking distance of the port. There's a mini golf course right next to it as well. You could take the tram around Dockyard which kids might enjoy. 

I hope you have a great voyage, despite NCL's s insistence on playing us like we're fools re-arranging the the chairs on Costa Concordia.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Epic 3/12 just cancelled Bonaire and substituted Grenada.

Reason given was port congestion…really?? 🤔

We are on the Epic sailing after yours and the Bonaire stop was switched out for Grenada many months ago.  Then, it was swapped out for a sea day.  Anyway, when I cancelled our Bonaire excursion with a private vendor, I was told that Bonaire is only allowing one ship per day due to covid so my cancellation did not come to any surprise to our vendor.  

6 minutes ago, vacation44 said:

We are on the Epic sailing after yours and the Bonaire stop was switched out for Grenada many months ago.  Then, it was swapped out for a sea day.  Anyway, when I cancelled our Bonaire excursion with a private vendor, I was told that Bonaire is only allowing one ship per day due to covid so my cancellation did not come to any surprise to our vendor.  

Thanks for the insight.

1 hour ago, AwesomO said:

In Bermuda, maybe they'd like riding the public ferry?  There's a zoo, with an open air lemur exhibit.  You'd need to either take a bus, taxi or ferry to a bus to get there

A short walk from the zoo is the Village Pantry, an excellent seafood restaurant with an outdoor area with picnic tables and toys. They also offer food to go. Reservations are recommended if you’d like to eat outside near the play area, since it is quite popular with families visiting the zoo..

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1