Time at Mendenhall?

2fromaurora

Basically, I want to do it all but know I can't!  I'm looking at whale watch/glacier combined tours in Juneau but they only allow about 1 hour at Mendenhall Glacier which does NOT seem like enough time to me to walk to Nugget Falls and Photo Point, let alone even step foot in the visitor center.  Am I wrong? Is there really not that much to do/see there?  We're in port from 12pm-10pm so plenty of time.  It's just been difficult scheduling to maximize both experiences. I'm also looking at possibly booking separate experiences through Princess and private vendors. (Jayleen's already booked the day I'm there, I've checked)  Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, experiences you may have!

Looks like you will be in Alaska during the moth of May - very long daylight hours.  You could change up your plans, or return on your own, either using the "Blue Bus" ($40 or so), or public transportation - a few dollars.

But like my friend @Glaciers says, don't miss that last bus!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

Our combo tour gave about an hour at Mendenhall. Two of us did the visitor centre and the short photo trail next to it. My husband and Dad felt confident they could walk quickly and get to nugget falls and back in the time, and they did. 

That said, we are going back to Alaska this year and my husband and I have decided to make our own way to Mendenhall so we can spend a bit longer there and I can join him on a more relaxed walk.

• Like 2

We go in June and decided on booking through  Juneau Whale watch on our own for this very reason. I have read good reviews about them and they do the combo tour, whale watch first then Mendenhall glacier. Decided on them because it says they have a shuttle that runs every half hour back to the pier, so we will have time to walk to nugget falls and not have to be rushed. Price was very comparable to Princess also, maybe a little cheaper.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cali Viajera said:

Have you thought about a canoe trip at Mendenhall? Gets you closer to the glacier than walking to Nugget falls, plus what a view! Liquid Alaska does these trips.

People really canoe up to a glacier?  During summer?  Do they not worry about getting killed by glacier calving?

If you want to walk on the Mandenhall glacier, just approach it from the west.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:28 PM, pdmlynek said:

People really canoe up to a glacier?  During summer?  Do they not worry about getting killed by glacier calving?

If you want to walk on the Mandenhall glacier, just approach it from the west.  

Yes!!! Is this not risky and scary? I'll be there in September..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...