Cinque Terra from Livorno

Has anyone done a tour of Cinque Terra from Livorno? I am on the Millie in May and wanted an alternative to Florence (I know - am I crazy?). Having been before I am looking for something new and I hear the Cinque Terra is amazing. I was thinking of taking the ship's excursion as it seems easiest in terms of making arrangements. Anyone with advice? Anyone know how many people I can expect on this type of excursion?

Has anyone done a tour of Cinque Terra from Livorno? I am on the Millie in May and wanted an alternative to Florence (I know - am I crazy?). Having been before I am looking for something new and I hear the Cinque Terra is amazing. I was thinking of taking the ship's excursion as it seems easiest in terms of making arrangements. Anyone with advice? Anyone know how many people I can expect on this type of excursion?

If I were you, and there's a ship's ecursion, I'd take it. If you dock in Livorno, it's quite a ways by bus or train. That way, if there's a problem with you being late, it's THEIR fault.

Deborah,

We did the Millie last year, but not Cinque Terre. We did actually did not do any of the ship's shore excursions, we are do-it-yourself types, but I totally agree with 24butterfly on this one. It actually looks reasonably priced, too ($126?). And no, I definitely do not think you're crazy. Can't say how many will do this excursion, but I'm sure the vast majority head to Florence or the Tuscan countryside.

Marblemel - We will be hiking in the Cinque Terra in mid May, I am so looking forward to it, I think it will be fantastic. We will be arriving in Portofino and will take a train to Montoresso and hopefully be able to hike through to Rio Maggorie and take the train back to Portofino. Have a great time.

Deborah,

We did the Millie last year, but not Cinque Terre. We did actually did not do any of the ship's shore excursions, we are do-it-yourself types, but I totally agree with 24butterfly on this one. It actually looks reasonably priced, too ($126?). And no, I definitely do not think you're crazy. Can't say how many will do this excursion, but I'm sure the vast majority head to Florence or the Tuscan countryside.

Generally, I am a do-it-yourselfer too, but when I looked at the map and saw how far it is from the port, I figured I'd spend most of the day worrying about getting back in time and the ship's excursion is only $126. I just dislike sightseeing with large groups of people - nothing says stupid American like a horde of people.

Any Millie tips? This is my first big cruise and I'm not really sure what to expect.

Hi,

We were on the Millie last summer and did a day in the Cinque Terre as we had previously done Florence and Chianti wine country. We booked with Taxi & Trips (info@tuscany-trips.com). Silvia was our driver and met us at the ship on time and delivered us back ON TIME! She is a very nice person.

We had quite an adventure on the day we went as the trains were on strike!! The plan was to take the boat from La Spezia and the train back. However, with no train service we had to take the boat both ways. However there is always a way, and being short on time, Silvia met us in Portovenere and got us back to the ship in plenty of time. We even had time to have a pleasant lunch in Portovenere. The Cinque Terre is beautiful. It is great after many busy sightseeing days. Highly recommended. You will have a great time.

Jan:)

YOW,,, you really make me smile! It is possible to go to Cinque Terre from Livorno, but its a long day. And keep in mind that the only way to enjoy Cinque Terre is to hike between the 5 towns (most start at one end and hike to the other end). However, be forewarned that it is a pretty long hike (plan on spending most of the day) and parts of the path are steep. The Italians have also gotten into the spirit by charging admission to the hiking trail. Can it be done from Livorno? Yes. Should it be done from Livorno? Personally we prefer doing the hike while we are spending land time in Italy. But it can be done.

Hank

Hank

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'm going to go with the ship's excursion - the only one I am planning on doing the whole cruise. That way I don't have to worry the whole time about getting back. I am excited to visit the Cinque Terra as we didn't get there 5 years ago when we spent 3 weeks on a land vacation there. I'm relatively young, so the hike doesn't scare me - missing the boat is my only real concern.

Hi, my wife and I went to Cinque Terre by train from Livorno last Oct. and it was our highlight! :) As with all ship to shore jaunts, time is your enemy... in our case, we had 'til 11 pm so, that was a comfort. However, we were back by 5:30 pm (tired after 4 days of intensive touring). We took a taxi from the dock (shuttle busses run only when full and we were tired of waiting) to the train station, Livorno Centrale (10-15 Euros, I think). You can get the schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html . We booked return tickets to La Spezia. ALWAYS validate your ticket by using the yellow machines to punch them (you can be fined if you do not). At La Spezia Centrale, we purchased "Cinque Terre cards" which entitle you to unlimited use of the trains to and from the 5 villages as well as the use of the ferry that runs to and from them. That way, we took the train to the last village (Monterosso al Mare) and took the ferry back with a gorgeous view of the villages from the water. We walked around, had a wonderful luch overlooking the Med. and walked over to the ferry which runs every hour, or so. We got off at Manorola, planning to walk to Riomaggiore (about 1 km on the path called "The Lover's Walk") but just took the train back to La Spezia. From there we transferred to the train to Livorno, and taxied back to the dock. We were lucky with the weather and thrilled with the day! I wish you the same good fortune whichever way you choose to go. It is well worth the effort for the views and, a relaxing change from the daily routine. Cheers, Bruce

Hi Deborah, Yes, it's comparable but you have to allow time for connections....hopefully, you won't miss one. By train it's about 1 1/2 hr. to La Spezia and another 15-20 to Cinque Terre. With connections, we left around 8:15 am and arrived sometime around 11:00 am. We wanted to leave by 3:00 pm or so (sigh, 4 short hours:( ) and had no trouble returning...just a small delay for connections in La Spezia. The trip by train was an experience, as well. Even lack of Italian didn't hurt (we did some learning of numbers and greetings, though) as the ticket seller wrote the times and amounts on a paper. Throughout Europe, any effort to speak their language (though not essential) is appreciated. The best way to travel there is by train as walking is necessary to get around and the train drops you off in the middle of the village. Cheers, Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience from the Cinque Terra tour from the Celebrity? I want to go to Cinque Terra, but I don't want to follow the herd around all day. Is it possible to just take the bus over and meet them before they go back to the ship?

Thanks.

HLester- I am going on Celebrity in May and am doing the ship's tour. I am hoping it is a small group (everyone else should want to go to Florence) since I hate travelling in herds as well. Unfortunately, it is only me, so a private tour is way too expensive. When are you cruising? I am happy to report back when I return.

I was suprised when I was going through our list of excursions for the Norwegian Jewel. They show a 9.5 hour time duration for the tour to Cinque Terre. A drive north to La Spezia where you take a scenic cruise? Arriving in Riomaggiore enjoy the local sights and the "Street of Love" a spectacular seaside path that leads to Manarola. At Manarola board another motor boat that will take you to Vernazza to enjoy some leisure time. At Monterosso al Mare there will be free time for shopping or lunch at a fine resturant. From here a motor coach will take you back to your ship. Since the wife and I have been to Florence before I am booked for this tour. This tour is very reasonably priced at around $100. Can't wait. Tim and Cathy

Marblemel: That would be great if you can report back, we are going at the end of August. I am so excited to see Cinque Terra, it looks beautiful. I keep seeing the Rick Steves Italy video and cannot wait to see it in person.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the Millie in June, and were thinking of renting a car in Livorno, driving to La Spezia (with a quick photo-op stop in Pisa), and then spending a few hours exploring the Cinque Terre. Am I correct in assuming that there is a choice between the ferry, the train or hiking to get between the villages?

We are on the Millie in June, and were thinking of renting a car in Livorno, driving to La Spezia (with a quick photo-op stop in Pisa), and then spending a few hours exploring the Cinque Terre. Am I correct in assuming that there is a choice between the ferry, the train or hiking to get between the villages?

CarNut - we will be hiking in the Cinque Terra next month and you are correct you can go between the villages via the ferry, train or hike. We are hoping to be able to hike the entire way unless some of the paths are closed.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the med and having trouble believing it's over. I ended up taking the ship's excursion to Cinque Terra and was glad that I did. It is very doable on your own, but you need to take a train to La Spezia and then ferries, walking, more ferries and the train and I was not comfortable doing that on my own (I wasn't with anyone else). So, I went with 30 other pople through the ship and they bussed us to La Spezia where we got on the ferry and had a lovely day, stress free, no worries about making it back on time. Our guides were OK, nice, but not real forthcoming with info.

One beware - the Cinque Terra is beautiful but has been discovered and there were tourists everywhere. I wasn't quite expecting that (although obviously I was part of the problem).

Deborah,

Any recollection of what the shore excursion to Cinque Terre cost on the Millie? The Celebrity shore excursion website is down. There are two of us on the June 7 sailing, and we have rented a car in Livorno to go to Cinque Terre. Just trying to figure out if it's not worth spending a few extra dollars to do the excursion instead.

Thanks!

Carnut- The excursion was $125 per person - since I was only one, it was better than trying to do it on my own. As far as the car is concerned, you can't really drive to the Cinque Terra. You can drive to La Spezia and take a ferry from there. Depending on how much the car costs, you might be better off just taking the train to La Spezia from Livorno.

Archived