Is VV good for sailors with dietary restrictions?

HughMann

I'm looking to book my first cruise with VV, but I'd love some honest feedback first.

My DW has a dairy allergy. We've recently sailed with Princess and they did an amazing job accommodating her. Then we sailed with MSC and it was an absolute joke.

Between all the restaurants, are they all consistently knowledgeable about the ingredients and can offer alternatives?

Thanks!

VV is excellent.  It is helpful if you've made reservations in advance and can notify them before you arrive to eat. Notifying the first restaurant you go to should get it entered into the computer and it should follow her to all future reservations. They will have plenty of "last minute" suggestions for you, but it is helpful for them to be prepared in advance.

The only time I saw a problem it was frankly the fault of the sailor. The elderly woman insisted that she had diabetes and wanted to know which deserts were "sugar free."  The chef came out and attempted to explain to her that none were sugar free, but pointed out which were "no added sugar" because most contained either milk or fruit and that means either lactose or fructose, either of which is a sugar.  The woman just couldn't get the idea into her head and was convinced that they'd soaked the fruit in sugar or something and she had to have "sugar free."  She ended up leaving in a huff, despite several "no added sugar" options being offered.

As to specific allergies, they have you covered.  As with most ships, it is easiest at the sit down restaurants.  In The Galley your wife will have to be a little more alert (just like in most buffets).  Again, one of the chefs or managers will come out and work with her on what she wants to order, but they are not in as good a position to modify dishes on the spot as they are in the restaurants. And essentially everywhere you can get "no sauce"  if there is any question in one of the more remote food outlets (like The Dock).  The chef isn't right there, but they CAN get you an ingredient list.

My suggestion would be that after boarding, you make breakfast or brunch reservations at one of the restaurants (The Wake and Razzle Dazzle serve breakfast and brunch daily).These cannot be booked prior to boarding.Once you make them aware of the allergy, they will flag your wife or your cabin number (no sure which) on the computer so it should show up each time you check in....but I'm that person who says that it is my responsibility to remind them, no matter what the computer says.  We were specifically asked about allergies by each server at each sit down restaurant, even when it was our 4th time requesting that same server.

• Thanks 1

I have allergies to black pepper. When I have cruised on NCL and Princess it was very difficult to eat just about anything, even ordering a day ahead.

On my B2B on Scarlet I had no problems. I told them at Pink Agave, which was my first restaurant and the chef came out and recommended all the things they could make that wouldn't have pepper on or in. Every restaurant there after, even on my second leg of the B2B would discuss the options with me so there wasn't any black pepper. It was amazing the way they worked with me. So I think your wife should be fine.

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:33 PM, HughMann said:

I'm looking to book my first cruise with VV, but I'd love some honest feedback first.

My DW has a dairy allergy. We've recently sailed with Princess and they did an amazing job accommodating her. Then we sailed with MSC and it was an absolute joke.

Between all the restaurants, are they all consistently knowledgeable about the ingredients and can offer alternatives?

Thanks!

I found VV one of the best in terms of listening to the guest and doing their best to meet the needs of the Sailor. Dairy allergies are somewhat common for cruise lines to work with so you really should not have an issue with that and the VV team. As an aside, other very cruise lines who work well with dietary restrictions include Disney, Celebrity, Holland America and Royal Caribbean.