Has anyone heard of or used this instead of wi-fi?

Topdog52

And if you're only using this on land anyway (since it doesn't work on a cruise ship, as Bird noted), you can usually get a local esim for data coverage on your phone for much cheaper than that.  I use a low cost cell carrier, that doesn't really have much international coverage, and doesn't have a daily international plan.  When I travel internationally, I get a local esim for data (some sims will include calls/texts too, but that's usually not necessary for me).  Last time I was in Europe, I paid $20 for like 15 Gigs of data, good for 2 weeks.  I can get a Caribbean regional one that cost $15 with I think 1Gig of data, that would cover me for 3 ports on my upcoming cruise.  I'll probably just skip that though, because I don't really need to be super connected this trip, and I've got my free wifi minutes on the ship, and can usually find some free wifi in ports for a few extra minutes.

This just seems like an expensive way to get data coverage internationally, with the added hassle of another piece of tech to haul around, keep safe, and keep charged.