Missed port and no refund?

CruiserQ123

I was the Getaway from the Jan 8-20. One of our stops was supposed to be Puerto Plata,Dominican Republic. Prior to the cruise, we found out that we were no longer going to that post, not was it being replaced by another. We asked onboard whether we would recieve credit/money back for a missed port. They told us that corporate headquarters in Miami was in charge and, once they (guest services desk) were informed, they would let us know. We never heard anything. 

When we got home we wrote an email to corporate headquarters about getting compensation for port and tax fees for missing Puerto Plata.

Received an email back which says: 

"Unfortunately, we are not offering any refunds of taxes or fees due to the itinerary change."

They canceled this port prior to the beginning of the cruise. They didnt replace it with another port. Why no refund? Has anybody else experienced this? 

I was on this sailing.   On our statement, there was a 10 fee refunded per person for each of the 5 people in my family, which people online said was the DR fee.  You might want to recheck your statement.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

I was on this sailing.   On our statement, there was a 10 fee refunded per person for each of the 5 people in my family, which people online said was the DR fee.  You might want to recheck your statement.

I read that it was for getting into Antigua 2 hours late.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

they never refund any port fees for missed ports

Interesting that you say 'never' considering I got a $10 credit when my cruise last March skipped Costa Maya.  There was no other reason I would have gotten a credit than for the missed port.

@CruiserQ123 - there are other reasons the port fees for the missed port may not be refunded.  When you book the cruise they ESTIMATE the port fees and taxes in order to charge them to you at the time of booking/FP.  If they under-estimated the port fees and taxes would you expect them to come back to you and ask for more money?  Didn't think so.  But also, if they under-estimated the port fees and taxes and a port is subsequently dropped (either before sailing or during the cruise) the port fees and taxes from the missed port may be used to cover any higher cost of the port fees and taxes that the cruise line was otherwise going to "eat" because they wouldn't levy the additional charges due to the under-estimation.

This is all discussed at length in other recent threads on this exact same topic (with nearly identical topic titles to this one!!)

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

We're on a cruise in March. Our port stop at Costa Maya was cancelled a few weeks after final payment. I expect nothing from Norwegian. Apparently my husband spoke with our PCC yesterday who is putting in a request for OBC. I don't expect a dime. You shouldn't expect anything either, but you should be pleasantly surprised if you receive something. NCL doesn't give money back for much.