New to P&O

Millie58

Hi, we’ve cruised before with Princess, Celebrity and Marella. 
Now looking at P&O, how do they compare? 
Are gratuities included in your fare.

Some of the ships look exactly like some of the Princess ships, which we love.

Any advice appreciated 

2 hours ago, Millie58 said:

Any advice appreciated 

Can't say for Princess, Celebrity and Marella but you will find it is more for the British Market. Gratuities are already included and you can tip who you would like personally. Just ask for an envelope at reception you may find they may put some out towards the end of the cruise.

Caribbean Princess and Crown Princess are nearly the same as Ventura and Azura I would say from an outside point of view and looking at the exterior like the sea screen is the same has Azura. Britannia I would say looks more like Regal Princess.

Everything onboard is in Sterling compared to dollars

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Canuker said:

OP: here's what Megabear2 has posted quite recently to CC, about P&O:

“Whilst appreciating all lines are adjusting menus to save food costs, P&O really do appear to be at the bottom of the pile at present, words like bland, repetitive, tough and stale make uncomfortable reading on the review pages and social media”.

“Most of the reviews over on the Cruise Critic review section are currently 3* which is nowhere near where they were previously and I'm sure would be worrying to P&O who are strithing to be 4* plus”.

“For my part I've booked three P&O cruises, two of them in recent days. I therefore have an interest in what if any improvements I might see in the immediate, near and further future.”

“I personally think that 2023 will continue to be a difficult year for P&O. I think things will improve, staff numbers will return to 100%. With that you should see the return of afternoon tea  and turn-downs. Food availability concerns me. There is no central Carnival ordering team - each brand does it separately although they share information. You'll notice for example that Carnival and Princess always serve USDA beef even when travelling from the UK. This is shipped in”.

“My personal problem is not portion size more the fact there was an air of we will have to make do - bubble and squeak soup for instance. There is also the buffet/salad situation where it doesn't change from day to day with exactly the same offering and extremely small choice. On my cruise the menu in the dining room did not in any way match the one for the previous cruise posted here almost as if the ingredients had run out and the chef couldn't offer the Celebration night menus”.

Obviously reviews mixture from site to site. Check other sites and people will be saying different or some may agree with certain aspects. Stock is a bit of a problem but that is happening in other industries. 

Best advice just give it a try.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Millie58 said:

Any advice appreciated 

Gratuities are included in the P&O fare, you can of course tip extra if you feel service has been exceptional but won't be frowned on if not. It is always difficult to compare when considering a third party you do not know. I would say give P&O a try and make up your own mind, I have cruised on the three lines you mention plus P&O,

P&O now suit our needs as they do longer cruises from Southampton in winter. We did cruise a fair bit with Marella in the past but as we don't drink much now that has effectively priced them out being all inclusive, plus they only typically do shorter fly cruises. If the price of a Celebrity or Princess cruise was the same as P&O I would favour the former.

• Like 2

With reference to the above comments about entertainment on P&O, having just done a Princess cruise where the Princess Patter was 2 pages full of endless events in the shop, quizzes (which I like) Art Auctions, occasional talks which only gave the title and no information abut the topic or the speaker there were no dance classes or exercise classes. Evening shows and music performances were ok but I think P&O is better. P&O's daily Horizon paper has more in it IMHO.

TBH, P&O seems to still be struggling with staff recruitment and procurement of food and drink. I have bored everyone to death with my gripes about that. 

I don't think it is fair to compare cruises as they are now to any cruises prior to 2020, and not even to a year ago. A year ago cruise shops were not sailing at the same capacity as they are now, staff shortages were not so obvious and the Food & Bev supplier in Southampton had not gone bust. I think it is fairer to just compare cruises from the last 6 months as all lines have their issues.

• Like 2

I keep seeing the same myths posted. 

Cruise ships do not have recruitment problems they have chosen to reduce staff by 10-20% per ship to save money, we know Filpinos and Indonesians who worked on the ships they have stated agencies in those countries have no shortage of qualified applicants they just don't have the cruise lines hiring at the same levels. 

Who is this Southampton based supplier who suddenly went bust? There's no need of it online and no one has ever managed to provide a name of this massively important company. There are many food suppliers, I don't believe someone like Bidvest didn't just step in as supplier, again it's cost cuts. 

Edited by Obobru
  • Like 2