Does the Ruby have USB charging outlets in the cabin?

PaperSniper4

I have a small clock that uses a USB cord for power. I am hoping that the bedside lamp has a USB outlet I can use. I always bring a power strip with a couple of USB outlets anyway, but it would be more convenient to plug in nearer the bed and of course free up my power strip outlets for other uses.

If it makes any difference, we're in a mini-suite on deck 9 (March 2023).

Doug

They didn't when we were in a mini-suite on the Ruby in November 2021.  Of course, things may have changed since then.  I'll be interested to hear this answer as we're sailing on the Ruby again this summer.  

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I have a small clock that uses a USB cord for power. I am hoping that the bedside lamp has a USB outlet I can use. I always bring a power strip with a couple of USB outlets anyway, but it would be more convenient to plug in nearer the bed and of course free up my power strip outlets for other uses.

If it makes any difference, we're in a mini-suite on deck 9 (March 2023).

Doug

Thanks.  Roger that on the surge protector.

Hi there.  We are just off the Ruby Princess on Sunday, February 5th.

As noted above, there are no USB ports in the cabin.  We were in a mini suite.  There were two plugs on the wall behind the desk, and they were crowded side-by-side plugs...meaning they cannot accommodate two large plugs next to each other. Also, There is a plug each on the top shelf of the cabinets where the TVs used to be.

DH brings a non-surge-protector "squid" plug thing...sorry, don't know the official name, and was able to plug it in on one of the crowded side-by-side plugs.

Just be aware the side of the bed not near the desk does not have any plugs at all. So if whomever is on that side of the bed is used to having their phone plugged in by them, they will have to make alternate arrangements.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JeffandMelissa said:

Hi there.  We are just off the Ruby Princess on Sunday, February 5th.

As noted above, there are no USB ports in the cabin.  We were in a mini suite.  There were two plugs on the wall behind the desk, and they were crowded side-by-side plugs...meaning they cannot accommodate two large plugs next to each other. Also, There is a plug each on the top shelf of the cabinets where the TVs used to be.

DH brings a non-surge-protector "squid" plug thing...sorry, don't know the official name, and was able to plug it in on one of the crowded side-by-side plugs.

Just be aware the side of the bed not near the desk does not have any plugs at all. So if whomever is on that side of the bed is used to having their phone plugged in by them, they will have to make alternate arrangements.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that does help. I know what you mean about those two outlets being crowded together, effectively rendering one unusable unless one has skinny male plugs. We bring at least one extension cord for that purpose, and use that in one of those "one-to-many-plug-extenders" <below> for another plug in the cabin, like the ones where the TVs used to be on previous mini-suite cabins.

image.png.60ed71351167f3e40f1acaa08b33c21f.png

However, you lost me where you said "Just be aware the side of the bed not near the desk does not have any plugs at all." I think you mean that that side of the bed is far away from any plug, right? Not that the other side of the bed had a plug very near? When when wife use a CPAP machine she slept on the side of the bed nearest the TV, so its cord was long enough to use that outlet.

I know there is a "European" plug often underneath the bed that many USA citizens here use with a converter, but we have never needed to use that. Generally all we need to charge are a phone (at the end of the cruise), tablet or laptop, and maybe a camera. The USB powered clock is a resent addition. So our needs are very minor, especially since she no longer uses the CPAP machine.

Edited by PaperSniper4

5 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks, that does help. I know what you mean about those two outlets being crowded together, effectively rendering one unusable unless one has skinny male plugs. We bring at least one extension cord for that purpose, and use that in one of those "one-to-many-plug-extenders" <below> for another plug in the cabin, like the ones where the TVs used to be on previous mini-suite cabins.

image.png.60ed71351167f3e40f1acaa08b33c21f.png

However, you lost me where you said "Just be aware the side of the bed not near the desk does not have any plugs at all." I think you mean that that side of the bed is far away from any plug, right? Not that the other side of the bed had a plug very near? When when wife use a CPAP machine she slept on the side of the bed nearest the TV, so its cord was long enough to use that outlet.

I know there is a "European" plug often underneath the bed that many USA citizens here use with a converter, but we have never needed to use that. Generally all we need to charge are a phone (at the end of the cruise), tablet or laptop, and maybe a camera. The USB powered clock is a resent addition. So our needs are very minor, especially since she no longer uses the CPAP machine.

I am so sorry for the confusion, Paper.  I hope this clarifies.  This is in reference to the side of the bed which is furthest from the desk and its lovely outlets  (in our case, the one closest to the wall and bathroom). There is no plug visible above this side's night stand nor visible on the wall next to this side's night stand. We were unable to move the nightstand away from the wall to see how the lamp was plugged in. I have a Dexcom6 continuous glucose monitor which I like to have by my bedside at night. I just had to make sure my phone was charged sufficiently to do so.  Keeping it plugged it would have been better but we were able to pivot.

17 hours ago, JeffandMelissa said:

I am so sorry for the confusion, Paper.  I hope this clarifies.  This is in reference to the side of the bed which is furthest from the desk and its lovely outlets  (in our case, the one closest to the wall and bathroom). There is no plug visible above this side's night stand nor visible on the wall next to this side's night stand. We were unable to move the nightstand away from the wall to see how the lamp was plugged in. I have a Dexcom6 continuous glucose monitor which I like to have by my bedside at night. I just had to make sure my phone was charged sufficiently to do so.  Keeping it plugged it would have been better but we were able to pivot.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Doug