Feeling A Little Self Concious ... ladies?

LLSullie

If you think you are a bit out of shape nothing will look as good as you think it should on you BUT I bet you will look great in a bathing suit and much better than I do! :)

Lands End has some that cover more.

I have thought about using my Tri Suit (think union suit made out of lycra) as a bathing suit but my husband refused to let me pack it!

I bought one of those two piece bathing suits with a skirt for the bottom part. Has the bottom part sewn in and the skirt overtop. Looks cute and hides a multitude of little imperfections I don't want to show! That might be another way to go too.

I am in the same boat too! The best bathing suits I have found to

squeeze in that extra around the middle and back side are the

Slim Suits by Carol Wior. They fit really nice and don't feel too

confining. They even come with a tape measure so you can see how

many inches it took off. What's also nice about them is they are

very stylish and have great fabrics and prints. So many of those

"Miracle suits" are just dog ugly not these though. You can find

the biggest selection at QVC, some at JC Penney or type in Carol

Wior swimwear and I think the site is called celeberity shopping or something. They are very pricey though $96.00 + but the are made

really well. Good luck!

Everyone seems to be saying the same thing and I agree with them all...it is doubtful you will be the biggest one in a swim suit. Looking back at my photos I can't believe I how many shapes and sizes of people there were! And trust me the poster who said the guys were the worst offenders was absolutely right! Some of these guys should not be wearing a speedo. I vote for the 2 piece tankini. Easy on even when wet. Good coverage. Lands End is good.

The slenderizing suits are expensive but they are so hard to get on....and I think even if the tummy panel stuffs it all in my thighs are going to be popping out anyway!!! Target also has some slenderizing suits that appear to be made by the same company as the more expensive slenderizing suits sold at Marshall Fields...though they use slightly thinner material and less finishing stitches but are obviously much cheaper.

I obsessed over suits but once I was there and saw everyone else, I wasn't concerned at all. Have fun!

I'm 100 lbs overweight and you know what...I'll never see these people again so go with what you can get the best tan in (if tanning is safe anymore!). I wear a 1 piece because I do Aqua aerobics and go thru a lot of suits. Tankini's are the most flattering (especially if you get one with a skirt) but nobody is looking at you. They're looking at their drinks! or book!

I'm so glad that I read this post. After three kids, surgeries, etc. and turning 40 in 15 days... well, I'm not 18 anymore. I love the suggestions on where to look for a swim suit. I haven't been in the "mood" to even look... anyone who has looked for a swimsuit knows you have to be in the right frame of mind...

My sister bought me a lovely wrap and I absolutely love it. I do feel more "clothed" walking to and from any place with it on. I guess it's just my comfort zone.

I got a nice Jantzen suit from VFW Outlet - if you are busty - look for haltered tops. I love the new "swim short" bottoms - very forgiving but can accentuate large hips..... Try on a whole bunch and buy what feels good. Look for a nice flattering colour with your skin tone (I am british bred so very white and pastels & whites look horrid on me) Remember too that lighter fabrics will show everything! Go with rich bright patterns or dark colours to hide the imperfections. Of course if you find a suit with a nautical theme (navy/white trim) you'll look fabulous! Don't forget to accessorize - big sunglasses are back in and a nice hat with coordinated scarfband and a gorgeous wrap and you're going to look mahvahlous dahling!

We all hate buying bathing suits - but once you're there on the ship and have a few drinks all those self doubts will melt away. Enjoy!

I am plus size & so is my husband for that matter, however the reason I am, is due to thyroid disease. It's very difficult to lose any weight when you have this disease, even when you eat like a bird. Plus I have to be on medication for the rest of my life. It's not fun! I think people need to get over the misperception that all plus size people are over eaters. Some have health issues (like me).

My husband loves me the way I am, and that's all that matters to me. I am not there to impress anyone. I may be plus size, but I take great care in my appearance. I'm not a slob by any means. I don't give a rats a$$ about being in my bathing suit either. I paid a lot of money to enjoy myself, and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to look. I am never going to see any of those people again anyways!!

By the way, Silhouettes, Ulla Popken & Spiegel have beautiful plus size swimwear right now!

I have to tell you, I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time ! ! !

And I now have no problem putting on a bathing suit. :p

Thanks for all the tips and advice. See you on the pool deck!

Martini Please ... ;)

42 yr old single mom ... bit out of shape ...

As is the way, I am feeling a little uneasy about the .... "bathing suit"

Anyone know where I can get one that is "flattering"? :cool:

Been feeling the same way with 40-odd days to go. Have to thank you though for articulating how I was feeling. All the posts got me off my butt and started swimsuit shopping on line today.

Now I'm looking for sites that sell plus-size cover ups...sleeveless dress types with colorful caribbean or hawaiian patterns. I know I've been to such sites but can't find them now. Any suggestions? I know if it's out there the CC crowd will know ;)

Thanks,

Kathy

I also vote for Land's End. They have suits of all cuts and styles, and they have a good selection for the plus size crowd, if you're one of us. They also have some nice cover-ups. One looks like a tank dress, sleeveless with pockets.

I really wouldn't worry about what you'll look like. I've decided that I'll work my yellow with white polka dot tankini (it covers the stomach area, don't worry ;) ) With the black bottoms, I'll look like a little fat bumblebee!

I have to tell you, I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time ! ! !

And I now have no problem putting on a bathing suit. :p

Thanks for all the tips and advice. See you on the pool deck!

Martini Please ... ;)

LL. dont worrie I'm sure whatever you ware you will look great.:)

Remember this is only a week and you will never see these people again..Then again who knows.

I'm on the same cruise with you and with my pot belly (from along winter and very little excercise) I'm not worried..Then again should I be :)

Remember, Opinions are like noses, Everyone has one, but they are all different.

See you in 4 weeks

John :)

I've spent a lot of time trying to find a swimsuit that I felt comfortable in and I've finally found one. It may or may not work for you...but it's worth checking into. I find that Longitude brand is very flattering and well made. They have 'tummy control' (but aren't hard to get into) and the back isn't super low, so it helps cover anything back there that you're self conscience about. Some have wider straps (helpful if you're 'busty') and they aren't all just plain black suits. They have some really cute ones. You can get anything from simple to classy to fun.

Here's a site that has a wide selection: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/index.php?mod=Shop&op=list&id=76&pp=77

(they also have sarongs, cover ups, sandals and suits for the rest of the family)

I'm 35 and pretty petite, but I swear by the skirted swim suit bottoms. I think they are one of the most flattering styles for any body type.

Another vote for Lands End - they have great separates! J Crew has good swim suits too - their fabric holds everything where it should be.

is chadwicks.com- they also allow you to mix and match- which i love and have a variety of styles a little less $$$ than lands end... i have several tankini peices with the skirt bottoms all set for 4/16 and anyone who wants to can just look:eek: :D :eek:

42 yr old single mom ... bit out of shape ...

As is the way, I am feeling a little uneasy about the .... "bathing suit"

Anyone know where I can get one that is "flattering"? :cool:

You should be fine with getting one of the 2 piece skirt bathing suits. I'm petite but I still like them, particarly at gatherings where I'm with family and such. Can't wear the bikini everywhere.

There are very stylish.

Here's one

http://www.chadwicks.com/chadwicks/product/product.asp?pf_id=81568&dept_id=7203&parent_id=7201&

I've spent a lot of time trying to find a swimsuit that I felt comfortable in and I've finally found one. It may or may not work for you...but it's worth checking into. I find that Longitude brand is very flattering and well made. They have 'tummy control' (but aren't hard to get into) and the back isn't super low, so it helps cover anything back there that you're self conscience about. Some have wider straps (helpful if you're 'busty') and they aren't all just plain black suits. They have some really cute ones. You can get anything from simple to classy to fun.

Here's a site that has a wide selection: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/index.php?mod=Shop&op=list&id=76&pp=77

(they also have sarongs, cover ups, sandals and suits for the rest of the family)

Thanks for the link. This is the first one with true plus sizes for those of us who are BEYOND FLUFFY :eek: Now if I can just find one with arms and legs like you see on the "way back when" pictures. :p

i swear by miraclesuits!! they really do make you appear to be at least 10-15 lbs. lighter...they have a lot of spandex and hold u in very well. they are on the pricey side, but last a long time. most dept. stores carry them and u can also buy them online, where they do have certain styles on sale. i have also found that if i go to the tanning salon a few times before i leave that the cellulite is less noticeable!!

nancy

Thanks for the link. This is the first one with true plus sizes for those of us who are BEYOND FLUFFY :eek: Now if I can just find one with arms and legs like you see on the "way back when" pictures. :p

OH OH OH >>> And those cool thick stripes ! ! ! LOL!

Absolutely, Lands End!!! !Very enthusastic customer esp. for swimming suits!!!! Sizing very consistant ---get the Faille one piece or tankini. I'm 53 and get compliments from my 22 year old son on how good I look compared to his friends moms. PS , you can get their stuff at Sears, order on line and return to Sears! What could be easier?

Archived