Paxlovid

From Chicago

Just an idea for the OP.  If you have an interest in Paxlovid, you might want to discuss this with your family physician.  We do a lot of travel (both cruises and independent international travel) and brought this issue up with our own physician.  He simply gave us prescriptions for Paxlovid (we have a prescription plan that covers the cost of the drug) and told us to carry it when we travel.  I have enough of a medical background to understand when using this drug is a good idea.  I should add that we also travel with COVID test kits so we have the ability to ascertain if we even have the disease.

Paxlovid certainly has its pros and cons and also has many nasty drug interactions.  That is just another reason to have a face to face chat with your own physician about whether this is a good option.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just an idea for the OP.  If you have an interest in Paxlovid, you might want to discuss this with your family physician.  We do a lot of travel (both cruises and independent international travel) and brought this issue up with our own physician.  He simply gave us prescriptions for Paxlovid (we have a prescription plan that covers the cost of the drug) and told us to carry it when we travel.  I have enough of a medical background to understand when using this drug is a good idea.  I should add that we also travel with COVID test kits so we have the ability to ascertain if we even have the disease.

Paxlovid certainly has its pros and cons and also has many nasty drug interactions.  That is just another reason to have a face to face chat with your own physician about whether this is a good option.

Hank

We carry a small pharmacy with us, including some special, just-in-case meds recommended by a physician.  In some cases, it's something that "we'll know if we need it".

But there have been a few meds where there were trade-offs about taking it.  Given the easy of the internet and email, we occasionally were asked to fill a script, take the med with us, but to contact the physician before actually taking it.  But at least we'd have it if that situation arose, rather than being somewhere where we couldn't get it when needed.  Paxlovid would be in this category, given the potential interactions with other meds.

As always, speak with your physician about it.

GC