Juneau Salmon Bake

jbpcalifornia

We've done this excursion many times on Princess and haven't been disappointed.  We were considering doing it again on a May cruise, but seem to remember reading some where that the quality and quantity of the food had really diminished.  Anyone have any opinions or recent visits?  Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reviving this again to see if anyone has any thoughts and opinions on this, and even on past experiences with this. We are probably booking our own transportation to Mendenhall glacier in the afternoon, but we are in port until 10pm so we are considering the salmon bake for the evening (it looks like on the day we'll be in port, the company itself has shuttles at 5:30pm and 6:30pm, and we might book directly through them). Is this also one of those excursions that can be booked at the port? Did everyone feel like it was "worth" it for what you paid? Also, we have two non-salmon eaters in our group. I see there is chicken, plus sides and desserts, but would it also be enjoyable for them to join? The area itself looks beautiful!

I think of it as an outdoor cafeteria that serves salmon.  The salmon is good but it will likely be frozen and expect some bones.  The sides are ho hum.  The setting is beautiful but expect to share it with a few hundred other people if there are several cruise ships in town.  For $60 per person I'd rather eat at a nice local restaurant like the Hanger and watch the float planes take off and land.

• Like 2

Trip Advisor has some recent reviews from last years season. There is a gap between April 2020 and last year in the reviews. And a definite decline in review scores since the resumption. Might want to take a look. Drinks are extra also if I read it correctly.

I am going to pass on it when I am up there in August.

• Like 1

We were at the salmon bake August 2022 - the salmon was good (not amazing), but good.  The sides, as mentioned, were ho hum, and the dessert (some type of blueberry cake) was quite good.  They had hot chocolate (that you had to make from hot water and a package of powder) - which gives you an overall idea.  We sat at wooden tables, and a young girl played a guitar.  A short walk away was a lovely waterfall. The bus ride there was on a school bus - the buses came and went frequently so we didn't have to wait.

Although the salmon was good - we wouldn't do it again.

• Like 1