Euros to bring along on a cruise

hrt4girls

2 hours ago, Mparker12 said:

Thank you and they specifically said euros cash and we have 2 tours planned so I will withdraw at home. 

You don't say where home is, but the general consensus is that if it's Northern America the exchange rates offered are very poor - OK for a few dollars-worth, but for the amount needed for two tours you'll lose out significantly compared to using an ATM in Europe.

The fruitmachine makes valid points about daily limits, and (more-rarely) a problem with your card being accepted, but they can be overcome with a little forward planning and not relying on just one card.

A couple of things to watch out for.....

Use machines at banks, preferably a banking partner of your own bank, which will give you a good rate of exchange whereas those in shops etc are privately-operated and the rates are poorer, and some charge a fee.

And always - but always - select the option which allows your card issuer to do the conversion.

My four-penn'orth, but your money & your decision.

JB 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party, but I would recommend having a minimum 50 euro in your pocket at all times. We were on a cruise in Europe last year and were thoroughly enjoying our meal. That was until my wife spotted the "Cash Only" sign on the wall. Most of our cash was locked up in the ship's safe (about a two miles away) and we started to panic. We asked for the nearest ATM but there were none in the immediate area. Luckily, we spotted a couple from our ship walking by (we were eating outside) and sheepishly asked to borrow 50 euro. That experience taught us to be prepared euro-wise.

• Like 1