Euros to bring along on a cruise

hrt4girls

We will be on a 9 night cruise visiting Italy, Croatia, and Greece in late May.  I plan to order Euros from our bank so we aren't scrambling to find an ATM on the first day.  The night before the cruise we are staying in Venice, so technically it will be 10 nights.  All of our shore excursions and paid in advance, as well as our first night hotel and transfers to the ship.  We basically need spending money for on shore meals, tips and shopping.  We are not big shoppers and only buy a few things for ourselves or our grandkids. We have credit cards with no fees that we can use as well.

Based on your experiences, how much should we take along in Euros?  We were thinking we could purchase with $500 American dollars and if we need more, find an ATM when needed.  Does that sound reasonable or am I figuring this incorrectly.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Like 2

Asked here quite frequently. First, tipping is not a big thing in Europe...you won't use a lot of cash for that. Second, you will use a credit card for most of your spending.

$500 is about 471 euros (at the best ATM rates). We didn't spend that much cash on a 3 week land trip in small towns, eating at cafes twice a day.

We've not used $500-worth of cash in an entire year.

I suggest no more than $50 (max $100) -worth of euros, and that more for the comfort of carrying local currency than needing it - your fee-free credit cards will give you a far better exchange rate than buying any foreign currency.

But only Visa and Mastercard are widely-accepted, don't rely on Amex or Diners Club.

NB Decline any offer to convert the charge to the currency of your card, and make sure that it hasn't automatically converted to USD before swiping or signing or tapping your PIN - outlets or their banks set the conversion rate at a much poorer rate than your card issuer.

It also means that you can see that the charge on the card-reader is the same as on the price-sticker, restaurant tab, etc - mistakes and "mistakes" can happen,

JB 🙂

• Like 3

I am also on similar cruises to the OP in the same timeframe.  I am from the US.  I totally agree with John Bull on all his points.  I spent all my euros on my last trip to euro, so I currently have zero.  I may decide to land in Europe with zero and just look for an ATM or I might decide to get about 100 euros from my US bank before leaving. I haven't decided.  You really just need a small amount for "just in case" situations upon arrival.  If I land with zero, I will just track down an ATM as soon as possible.

I use my credit card wherever possible.  I've never had an issue with that (notify your bank before leaving).  If I truly need more cash, I just get it at an ATM when I need it.  ATMs are everywhere.  Notify your ATM bank too.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

We usually have left over EUROS from travels and I keep for the next trip.  But if you don't have any, DON'T get a huge amount exchanged at a bank or the airport.  You lose a lot.  I would suggest maybe 50-100 EUROS to start and then use the ATM for more if you need them.  We always notify any bank debit & any CC when we travel to avoid issues of not being able to use them.  I love the Capital One 360 card.  It's a debit card with no fees.  You load it with as much as you want and it's accepted everywhere.  Just remember your pin.  

• Like 1

I´d also suggest to get not more than 100 Euro. I hardly spend any cash money and I hit the ATM maybe every 6 weeks or so to retrieve 200 Euro and I´m living in Germany. But it´s the same for Italy. Tips in restaurants you can add to the check (and usually there is a "coperto" added to your check which covers tips) and pay with card. When you order Euro ask for small bills 20, 10 and 5. No 50, as you may only need it for smaller purchases like a bottle of water at a kiosk or so.

steamboats

• Like 3

We never get Euros before we leave the states. Once we get to Rome, we will stop by an ATM and get around 50-100 just to have some. What I can’t remember from our last Mediterranean cruise was what we used to tip crew members a little extra. Should tips for crew members be in euros or can we give them dollars?

22 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

We never get Euros before we leave the states. Once we get to Rome, we will stop by an ATM and get around 50-100 just to have some. What I can’t remember from our last Mediterranean cruise was what we used to tip crew members a little extra. Should tips for crew members be in euros or can we give them dollars?

You can give them either euros or dollars.  I generally give them whatever I have more of.  Or if I have enough, I ask them which they prefer.  They have ways to use whatever you give them.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

Should tips for crew members be in euros or can we give them dollars?

No need to worry about Euro for extra trips of the crew members. They are happy with US Dollar as that´s the currency they can send easily back home. Of course - when cruising in the Euro area - they are also happy to get Euro.

steamboats

20 hours ago, gatorchinsky said:

We have 100 left from our last trip  and plan to get another 200 so yoh think that is to much? We never use foreign ATMs have a debit for this in case of emergency, but so far so good. At least with a prepaid debit anything happens only lose what's on the card. We always use our Princess Visa for travel related items so far that has worked out, but only like dining or shopping not small items like tour tipping, cafe, little market for locals sweets or a drink.

Extra for crew is always US dollars because that is the ship currency.

Thanks for your response others will appreciate this info as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking we’d need cash to tip the tour guides.  Like the Poster I was thinking about $500us in euros as I was looking at 8 excursions ($20-40 tip per day) plus the tip for driver to and from port ($20-40) in addition to bar tips ($5/day), steward tips ($5/day) and a buffer.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happycrafter123 said:

I was thinking we’d need cash to tip the tour guides.  Like the Poster I was thinking about $500us in euros as I was looking at 8 excursions ($20-40 tip per day) plus the tip for driver to and from port ($20-40) in addition to bar tips ($5/day), steward tips ($5/day) and a buffer.   

By European standards, your tipping amounts for excursions and drivers are way high, by a factor of probably 4. 

If you are on a US oriented cruise line, you can tip in dollars if the makes your situation easier. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you are on a US oriented cruise line, you can tip in dollars if the makes your situation easier. 

The drivers and guides will prefer Euro as they are living there and have to pay a high fee for converting Dollar to Euro.

The staff onboard will appreciate Dollar.

But I´m definitely with you that by European standards the tipping amounts for the tours are way to high. 1 or 2 Euro for the driver (most don´t tip the driver separately) and maybe 5 Euro for the guide (per person).

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Happycrafter123 said:

While in country in Italy you do not tip, at most you round up a bill to an even amount (for example, for a 38 euro lunch bill leave 40 euro).

While on ship shore excursions I know that tipping is suggested/encouraged, that's the cruise line's issue.  If on a private excursion no tip is needed or expected.  You are dealing with professionals who are often self employed and set their own rates.  They do not expect nor count on tips.

I realize that this is uncomfortable for Americans who are accustomed to tipping for nearly everything and are begged for tips these days in even more situations.  (Side note: I was recently at a ballpark paying for something at a stand where the employee didn't do anything other than hand me my purchase and he did not move more than two steps in the process.  As I paid the credit card machine asked if I wanted to add a tip, I had to actually choose "zero" in front of the employee.  This mechanized begging is embarrassing for everyone involved.)

But back to my point, it's wrong to export the bad habits of the States to other parts of the world.  It may make you feel generous in the moment, but please step back and look at the bigger picture.  Of course most people will not embarrass you and refuse your tip, that doesn't make it the right thing to do.  Please allow professionals to maintain their dignity and show them thanks and respect in other ways, such as asking them what web sites they would like you to leave glowing reviews on, then follow up and leave the reviews.  This helps them build their business for the long term.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, steamboats said:

The drivers and guides will prefer Euro as they are living there and have to pay a high fee for converting Dollar to Euro.

The staff onboard will appreciate Dollar.

But I´m definitely with you that by European standards the tipping amounts for the tours are way to high. 1 or 2 Euro for the driver (most don´t tip the driver separately) and maybe 5 Euro for the guide (per person).

steamboats

Thank you this is helping a lot to plan my fx order.

for excursions that are semi private or small group (4-8 participants) does the 5 euro per person hold? So hard to figure out standards in different parts of the world.

for the driver service to and from port (1 hr drive) you are suggesting only $1 tip?

8 hours ago, jc522 said:

Did anyone mention the pay toilets? It costs 1 euro to get thru the turnstile.

Not in general... and if so prices range from 50 cents to 1 Euro. In larger restaurants there can be a lady sitting there who is taking care of cleaning the restrooms. She does expect a small tip which can be 50 cents to 1 Euro. In some cases you have actually to pay upfront. So it´s always a good idea to have some coins with you (especially for the ladies as for some reason we always have to pay while the men don´t have).

steamboats 

• Like 1

Our tour guide for Naples requested we pay the remainder of our tour price in Euros so I will need 350 Euros.  We will be in Rome the day before should I get the euros from a bank ATM?  I am leaning toward getting them from my local bank before I leave home…..what do you suggest? Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Mparker12 said:

Our tour guide for Naples requested we pay the remainder of our tour price in Euros

If you're certain that they mean Euros cash rather than Euros on a credit card, then I'd probably take from home.  You have a risk that you have a card problem, or something as simple as you hitting the ATM daily withdrawal cap, if you intend to withdraw from a local ATM.