Transportation from Berlin to Warnemünde

graveytrain

Hello all, We are planning our first cruise on MSC. Our question concerns embarking and disembarking at Warnemünde. Does MSC offer transportation from and to Berlin? We will be flying into Berlin and would like to pay MSC to get us to/from the ship. I am not comfortable doing this by myself. My husband and I are not familiar with the train system in Europe (although it has an excellent reputation) and do not speak much German. We have used this service on other lines. Thank you for your help.

There may be a transfer by bus that you can book with MSC (just ask MSC or your TA, it may not be bookable online).

Besides that, going by train from Berlin to Warnemünde would be quite easy. There are direct trains that take 2,5 hrs from Berlin central station to Warnemünde. Announcements in german trains are usually in german and english. Warnemünde is the last stop of the line, so you will not miss it. The station is within short walking distance to the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

As there is a direct train as mentioned from airport to port every two hours I doubt that MSC will offer a bus. Using German trains is very easy and the app of the railway company offers English language. So buying the tickets is also dead simple, all can be done in the app. 

3 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

There may be a transfer by bus that you can book with MSC (just ask MSC or your TA, it may not be bookable online).

Besides that, going by train from Berlin to Warnemünde would be quite easy. There are direct trains that take 2,5 hrs from Berlin central station to Warnemünde. Announcements in german trains are usually in german and english. Warnemünde is the last stop of the line, so you will not miss it. The station is within short walking distance to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the information. I will try calling first.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

As there is a direct train as mentioned from airport to port every two hours I doubt that MSC will offer a bus. Using German trains is very easy and the app of the railway company offers English language. So buying the tickets is also dead simple, all can be done in the app. 

Is there a place in the train for luggage? Do we keep it with us?  We are not familiar with trains

This video I found gives an impression of the trains on this route. There is place for luggage near the doors (usually sufficient, as the majority of german rail passengers are commuters or day trippers with no big luggage).

Edited by RudiRatlos

Also take a look at the Rome2Rio website:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Berlin/Warnemünde

Also, if you've not already done so, open your reservation on the MSC website and look at excursions. If they offer a MSC bus between somewhere in Berlin and the ship, they would be listed under Berlin and Warnemünde.

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

13 hours ago, graveytrain said:

Is there a place in the train for luggage? Do we keep it with us?  We are not familiar with trains

I don´t know this. But I am flying to Berlin in April and will use exactly this train. 

Basically there should be lugguage storage in German trains but it depends which train. 

If you take the ICE train there are little spaces at every end of the part of the train you sit in. Other than that just overhead racks.

on the IC or Regio you don’t have those spaces.

You keep your luggage with you and are responsible for it yourself the entire time. 

I would recommend you to Reservate seats that have a table. You usually have more space there and can even Reservate all 4 seats grouped around one so you sit alone and have enough space for the luggage.

The train system is fairly easy in Germany. If you need help with booking a train online, let me know. I will be happy to help. 

1 hour ago, Itochen33 said:

If you take the ICE train there are little spaces at every end of the part of the train you sit in. Other than that just overhead racks.

ICE trains make this trip crazy complicated. Not a good idea if a IC train brings you directly from airport to port. 

8 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

ICE trains make this trip crazy complicated. Not a good idea if a IC train brings you directly from airport to port. 

I just answered the question if there are spaces for luggage in the trains…

i never said they have to take the ICE…

Direct train connection from Berlin (airport and central station) to Warnemünde is an IC (InterCity) train using the double-deck cars shown in the above linked video (for railway fans, which I am not: it's an IC2 Stadler-KISS train), luggage racks can be seen in the video.

@KINGBOBOFTHENORTH actually there may be transportation offers that do not show up online, so calling MSC or the TA is a good advice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RudiRatlos said:

@KINGBOBOFTHENORTH actually there may be transportation offers that do not show up online, so calling MSC or the TA is a good advice.

You are correct. I do recall a MSC bus from Kiel Hbf to the ship which was not offered online. Of course that was just a 20 minute journey and you paid for it at the train station.