San Francisco Layover

DeeDee Groff

At the end of March I have one hour and 20 minutes in the late evening to connect from San Francisco airport's Terminal 3 to the International Terminal.  I'd appreciate any insight anyone would care to share about my realistically being able to accomplish this.

If you are arriving in T3 (United) and connecting out of the G gates in the international terminal, you merely have a short walk inside the secure area to your gates.  Piece of cake.

If, OTOH, you are flying out of the A gates, you will have to walk over to G, leave the secure area and walk across the International terminal to the A gates (with a new security screening).  Again, relatively simple.

Looking at maps on the SFO airport website will show this all to you.  (But then, you have already looked at the SFO website to do your own independent research first.....right?)

On 3/1/2023 at 10:24 PM, FlyerTalker said:

If you are arriving in T3 (United) and connecting out of the G gates in the international terminal, you merely have a short walk inside the secure area to your gates.  Piece of cake.

If, OTOH, you are flying out of the A gates, you will have to walk over to G, leave the secure area and walk across the International terminal to the A gates (with a new security screening).  Again, relatively simple.

Looking at maps on the SFO airport website will show this all to you.  (But then, you have already looked at the SFO website to do your own independent research first.....right?)

I am arriving in T3, and the connection is one of the G gates!

When I initially researched, I did not have the arrival gate.

Thank you so much for responding!

For the future - airports have minimum connection times that airlines need to comply with.  The flights could not be booked if they did not meet the MCT for the airport.  The MCT should be based on the average person walking a typical pace.

Here's info on the MCT from the IATA, an entity that governs such things.

Minimum Connecting Time User Guide - IATA

I actually had a flight re-booked mid-cruise one time as maintenance on an airport's shuttle system was going to be down for maintenance and it caused the MCT to inflate beyond what my layover was booked for.  Turns out my flight got in early and I made my original flight home.