Explorer Suite Blackout Curtains

luvtosing

Question about the blackout curtains on the forward Explorer suites. We are sailing on Neptune and I have read that the curtains need to be pulled from sunset to sunrise so as not to interfere with the bridge. Does this include every curtain in cabin, including the ones on the sliding doors to the balcony? Does this mean no going out on the balcony after sunset/before sunrise unless there is complete darkness in the cabin?  Please advise! Thank you! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luvtosing said:

Question about the blackout curtains on the forward Explorer suites. We are sailing on Neptune and I have read that the curtains need to be pulled from sunset to sunrise so as not to interfere with the bridge. Does this include every curtain in cabin, including the ones on the sliding doors to the balcony? Does this mean no going out on the balcony after sunset/before sunrise unless there is complete darkness in the cabin?  Please advise! Thank you! 

Any light shining fwd negatively impacts the bridge team's night vision. If you wish to open the blackout curtains, you must ensure that all the cabin lights are turned off.

We had no issue using the balcony at night, we just turned of the lights in the living room/dining room.

Not a problem, there is enough ambient light from the navigation lights and bridge to be able to go out onto the balcony without falling over the furniture. 

We left the bedroom light on and with other lights off slipped out through the balcony door with the curtains closed to avoid light showing

3 hours ago, luvtosing said:

Thanks KB’s mum! That is very helpful. Question, what is the actual time frame that the curtains have to be drawn? Is it just when it’s fully dark or something else? 

Usually dusk

13 hours ago, luvtosing said:

Thanks KB’s mum! That is very helpful. Question, what is the actual time frame that the curtains have to be drawn? Is it just when it’s fully dark or something else? 

From dusk to dawn, although it only really affects the Bridge team's night vision when it is almost fully dark.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:37 AM, Heidi13 said:

From dusk to dawn, although it only really affects the Bridge team's night vision when it is almost fully dark.

Gee, Andy, don't you want to get into "nautical twilight"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Haha!! too busy taking star sights at nautical twilight😁

Are you two making things up or is that an actual thing? (nautical twilight, not the star sights, I know those are a thing) I'm intrigued

Thanks for the link, we encountered what is apparently called a belt of venus sunset, which was a new thing for us, after much googling we think it  works on the same principles, but in reverse 

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Thanks for the link, we encountered what is apparently called a belt of venus sunset, which was a new thing for us, after much googling we think it  works on the same principles, but in reverse 

This is also a good site I use for the different ‘twilights’ (and sunrise/sunset when I am on holiday) here’s a direct link for Warwick for the whole month, for an example https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2634725 

This thread has been very helpful as we are booked in a forward Exporer Suite.

We knew nothing of the restrictions on light at night.

we had experienced this recently on our Caribbean/Amazon cruise but it was due to bugs.