On Bliss now. Any questions?

luckybecky

What was your excursion experience in Cartegena?    (I know that takes you a couple days back.)

I'm on a similar itinerary on the Encore in April and looking for feedback on what may be fun to visit. It seems like San Felipe Castle would be an interesting spot.   If applicable, did you get the opportunity to go "in" or was it just an "outside" photo stop?

And a quick tag-a-long question... did you find the shopping experience worthwhile?  I've heard that there can be a lot of pushy folks in those area looking for tourist dollars via 'rapping' and 'photo traps'.

Can you share (briefly) your experiences on the Bliss transfer through the Panama Canal?

A little curious on if the ship opened the bow during the transit.   Maybe also if they had any 'educational' style presenters/speakers describing the areas as the shipped passed through.

46 minutes ago, KenPlat said:

Can you share (briefly) your experiences on the Bliss transfer through the Panama Canal?

A little curious on if the ship opened the bow during the transit.   Maybe also if they had any 'educational' style presenters/speakers describing the areas as the shipped passed through.

The Joy's bow was open yesterday for Her Crossing.  You want to wander all over the ship.  It is a very long day (10 to 12 hours) to complete the Crossing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KenPlat said:

What was your excursion experience in Cartegena?    (I know that takes you a couple days back.)

I'm on a similar itinerary on the Encore in April and looking for feedback on what may be fun to visit. It seems like San Felipe Castle would be an interesting spot.   If applicable, did you get the opportunity to go "in" or was it just an "outside" photo stop?

And a quick tag-a-long question... did you find the shopping experience worthwhile?  I've heard that there can be a lot of pushy folks in those area looking for tourist dollars via 'rapping' and 'photo traps'.

Sorry I have not been online much for a couple of days. Thanks to others for helping to answer some of the questions. 🙂 

We did an NCL tour in Cartagena called Amazing Cartagena. It was OK. The walking tour portion was limited. We covered a small amount of ground in the old town with a friendly guide but I felt the tour could have been better. We were there in the early morning and nothing was open yet. Our tour continued with a boat ride though the harbor which we really enjoyed. We had a very engaging guide who talked a lot about the local culture, with dancers who demonstrated traditional dances, and free flowing rum punch. 🙂 Our tour did not go to the castle. We drove past and saw it from a distance only. We also did not do any shopping. There were quite a few people approaching us during the walking tour trying to sell trinkets. This got much worse in Guatemala; there, it was relentless! There is of course a shopping area at the port but we did not do any shopping so I can’t really comment on it. They do have an amazing aviary there at the port, which anyone can see just by getting off the ship. You do not need to do a tour to see this. The parrots were incredible. Dozens of them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KenPlat said:

The bow was open for the canal transit. One thing I do not like about this ship is there are zero forward viewing areas, unless you are Haven. So at least they opened the bow. It was crowded. They had some juice and water available. 

There was a very informative speaker who started making announcements at 7am. He continued through the entire day, coming on the speakers at various times to discuss what we were seeing. As someone else pointed out, the transit took pretty much all day. The speaker was on board during that entire time. Not constantly talking of course, but coming on often with information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@LuckyBecky 

Thank you for both of your responses.   🙂    Informative and helpful!

The tip on the aviary at the Cartagena port is valuable.  Will want to visit that (hopefully!) on the way back from an excursion.   I still need to pick one... and am now leaning towards the "Let's Take a Selfie" as it seems I might get stop I'm looking for at the Castle.    It's harder to find excursion specific feedback... and your input there helps me to better read through NCL's wording on the tours.

It's also exciting to know that there is a narrative as the ship goes through the 50 miles of the Panama Canal.  I'm the type of person that wants to also have an idea of "what" I am looking at.

Hoping that you continue to enjoy your cruise on The Bliss!

50 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

One thing I do not like about this ship is there are zero forward viewing areas, unless you are Haven.

How about the Observation Lounge forward view?    (Mind you I don't know...  I am just hoping the sister Encore ship has decent views in that area.)

I imagine... you are probably speaking with the desire to be "in the open air" for such an event like the Panama Canal transit.

At the risk of monopolizing the "question pool"... <grin>...  I got one more!

Could you share information about the "laundry bag" days?    I gather on most 7 day itineraries... there is one day where NCL has a discounted 'fill the bag' for a special price.    Wondering if there is still just ONE of these opportunities on the 15 day itinerary... or if they offer a second laundry deal day?   Also... if you know the day # of the cruise in which they offer that would be helpful.

<Can you tell I'm trying to figure out how much to pack and when to leverage the laundry bargain day.>

Appreciate you taking the time out of your valuable vacation time.   No rush.  I promise to stop asking Q's.

1 hour ago, KenPlat said:

@LuckyBecky 

Thank you for both of your responses.   🙂    Informative and helpful!

The tip on the aviary at the Cartagena port is valuable. 

Yes, do not miss this. It is free and just steps away from the ship. There are many fascinating birds, peacocks, and parrots. It was wonderful. 

It's also exciting to know that there is a narrative as the ship goes through the 50 miles of the Panama Canal.  I'm the type of person that wants to also have an idea of "what" I am looking at.

The narrative was definitely informative and very helpful. Started early and continued throughout the day. In some areas, it could be hard to hear because of people talking or whatever, so make sure you choose a good spot. Of course can be heard clearly from your TV in your cabin, so if you have a balcony this could be a good option. Also can see the forward camera from your TV.

How about the Observation Lounge forward view?    (Mind you I don't know...  I am just hoping the sister Encore ship has decent views in that area.)

I imagine... you are probably speaking with the desire to be "in the open air" for such an event like the Panama Canal transit.

Yes, you are correct. I should be more clear. The observation lounge is actually a lovely space. We love the decor. Lots of comfortable seating; but again, it gets crowded and prime spots go quickly. I was thinking of open decks where you can view the scenery and take photos unobstructed, without glare or reflections of glass, and where you can see/smell/hear the flora and fauna. There are no forward open decks on Bliss except for Haven guests.

At the risk of monopolizing the "question pool"... <grin>...  I got one more!

Could you share information about the "laundry bag" days?    I gather on most 7 day itineraries... there is one day where NCL has a discounted 'fill the bag' for a special price.    Wondering if there is still just ONE of these opportunities on the 15 day itinerary... or if they offer a second laundry deal day?   Also... if you know the day # of the cruise in which they offer that would be helpful.

<Can you tell I'm trying to figure out how much to pack and when to leverage the laundry bargain day.>

Appreciate you taking the time out of your valuable vacation time.   No rush.  I promise to stop asking Q's.

No worries! We got two laundry package fliers on the same day, I think it was about day six or so. It was $29 for all you could fit in a bag. It said that all you can fit in the bag -- and we were able to fit a lot! You need to fold your clothes very neatly, don't just stuff them in there. If folded and packed in carefully, you can fit a lot. We got numerous blouses/shirts and pants/shorts. I wash lingere and light blouses in the sink. 

The instructions said that you just have to pack the laundry bag, then include the flyer to get the $29 price. Since we got two fliers, I assume that you could use the service twice, but we only have used it once. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lovinger said:

I also had one more question. Does the Bliss offer Coca-Cola Zero Sugar, or is Diet Coke the only sugar free soft drink option?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Yes, they do have Coke Zero which is my husband's preferred soda. However canned soda is not included in the basic drink package (unless you find a friendly bartender who sometimes will bend the rules). If you get a fountain drink, that is regular diet coke, I think.

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, Giveitatry2023 said:

Could you possibly verify if food republic is no reservations? Online it’s showing reservations are not offered? 

Sorry I missed responding to you earlier. 

I recall that prior to boarding, several restaurants were not available to reserve on the website or app. However I believe that all specialty restaurants are available for reservations once on board. Definitely make reservations as soon as you can because they fill up quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@luckybecky

Thank you (again!) for taking the time to answer ALL the questions on this thread.   🙂    I'm sure you are not only helping us directly... but plenty of other readers.

Wishing you the best on the remainder of your vacation!

• Thanks 1