Loyalty program question

captainannoyed!

I just did the match (I've never sailed with VV before).

Submitted it last night and this morning got the email saying I had been matched BUT hadn't set up my Sailor profile yet.  So to save a step, make sure you already have an account set up on the VV website.

I used the match on my October cruise--the benefits were quite nice.  So far, no one knows what is happening after 3/31.  The match program was supposed to have ended on 12/31/2022, but was extended.  There is no question that VV is developing their own loyalty program, but the only info they have announced is that it will be based on the price you pay for your cruises as well as onboard spending. And they have "badges" for certain things you may have done on VV, but no one knows what the badges mean or what perks they confer other than Sea Rover and Sea Ranger status.  Some day we will learn what is being developed.

9 hours ago, captainannoyed! said:

Hi everyone!  I think I saw an article recently that said that Virgin will match loyalty levels from other cruise line loyalty programs.  Does anyone know if this is correct?  Thanks!

6 hours ago, singleflyer said:

I just did the match (I've never sailed with VV before).

Submitted it last night and this morning got the email saying I had been matched BUT hadn't set up my Sailor profile yet.  So to save a step, make sure you already have an account set up on the VV website.

Getting your status match confirmation email is a good first step. It takes a few weeks for it to work though the system. Mine did.

Makes me think Sea Rover status could still be a thing going forward. We’re all waiting to hear what VV has in store for us in the Sailors Club after April 1st. 

59 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Getting your status match confirmation email is a good first step. It takes a few weeks for it to work though the system. Mine did.

Makes me think Sea Rover status could still be a thing going forward. We’re all waiting to hear what VV has in store for us in the Sailors Club after April 1st. 

How do you know when it has worked its way through the system?  So far the only thing that is different is I see a "Cha-Ching. You've Got Credit. Hey Sailor — looks like you've got credit on your account that you can use toward future voyages." but with $0.  The sailing I am looking at leaves on March 31 so hoping it gets through the system by then!

10 hours ago, singleflyer said:

How do you know when it has worked its way through the system?  So far the only thing that is different is I see a "Cha-Ching. You've Got Credit. Hey Sailor — looks like you've got credit on your account that you can use toward future voyages." but with $0.  The sailing I am looking at leaves on March 31 so hoping it gets through the system by then!

Mine took 3 weeks to start showing some sailor extras on the app.  I worried, called, and cried but then one day I saw some evidence my sailor status was in the system.  As a precaution, I printed out the confirmation email and took it to the pier preparing to fight for my 'Sea Rover rights' but alas VV had it all in their system.

Are you leaving from Miami?  If so I can tell you what to expect and how Sea Rover check-in in Miami worked for me on my first VV cruise.  It was 1000% better than I had ever dreamed possible.

17 hours ago, singleflyer said:

My daughter got an email in a couple days, mine took a week.  My "Deep Blue Extras" never did show up, but it didn't matter since it is "per cabin," not "per person."  Sea Rover earned from 2 cruises in 2022 is good for the $100 bonus on purchased bar tabs thru 2024. The status match was listed as "sea rover status with deep blue extra benefits" and did not include the additional bar tab bonus....and currently is only good on cruises thru 3/31.  I believe the cruise has to end by that date, but not sure about that part.  In any event, fingers cross, we can hope.....

latest loyalty update through the grapevine... sailing club is apparently not launching april 1 like we all assumed it was given the march 31 deep blue end date, and there's no word on them extending deep blue perks again yet. wompwomp.

Again, fingers crossed,  Deep Blue on my next sailing would be lovely.  I haven't done enough sailings on VV to qualify for any of the high end benefits that I have on other lines....even though I do plan on being on lots more.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I believe the cruise has to end by that date, but not sure about that part.  In any event, fingers cross, we can hope.....

Deep Blue extras are included if your cruise starts on or before March 31st.  I got mine on my Mar 31st cruise but not on my April cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _tacocat_ said:

latest loyalty update through the grapevine... sailing club is apparently not launching april 1 like we all assumed it was given the march 31 deep blue end date, and there's no word on them extending deep blue perks again yet. wompwomp.

Deep Blue extras are over in April.  My March 31 cruise has them, my April cruise does not.

I'm holding off booking future cruise (in the fall) until VV announces their new loyalty plans.

12 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Deep Blue extras are over in April.

over in april for now though.  they've already extended them once late last year, so we shall see if they keep extending them as a band-aid until they finally figure out their loyalty program.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

I'm holding off booking future cruise (in the fall) until VV announces their new loyalty plans.

Does that $200-250 of value really make that much of a difference to your plans?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

Deep Blue extras are over in April.  My March 31 cruise has them, my April cruise does not.

That's the current info, but we weren't notified until the end of December that they were being extended thru March and the "Shake for Champagne" was changed to a $100 bar tab.  It would only take a one line announcement to extend them again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jon81uk said:

Does that $200-250 of value really make that much of a difference to your plans?

Of course it does. $200-250 is a lot of money. I’m looking to book 6 maybe 8 cruises for fall 2023 so it’s really $1200 to 1500 savings for me. 

Would you order an iPhone today for $$1300 if you could wait and order it tomorrow for $1150?? Delivery date November 1st on either phone?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

Of course it does. $200-250 is a lot of money. I’m looking to book 6 maybe 8 cruises for fall 2023 so it’s really $1200 to 1500 savings for me. 

Would you order an iPhone today for $$1300 if you could wait and order it tomorrow for $1150?? Delivery date November 1st on either phone?

The iPhone analogy doesn’t really work as the deep blue extras don’t reduce the price. 
It’s closer to getting a free pair of earphones or something for being loyal.

But also at the moment there is a discount and up to $600 bar tab free, so I’d rather have that guaranteed offer and then if I get a loyalty freebie that’s a bonus. 

also the extras for me don’t add that much, I prefer the drip coffee so the coffee credit is nice as a freebie but isn’t saving me money. The laundry was useful on the transatlantic trip but on a shorter cruise I don’t need it. So really the only major benefit is the $100 bar tab and the separate boarding line. So right now I’d rather have a guaranteed $600 bonus instead of potentially a smaller value of extras.

• Like 2

The $600 free bar bonus doesn’t reduce the price of the cruise for those of us who don’t drink alcohol so I’m hoping the new loyalty program will offer things like sailor loot (other than booze) or Red Hot prices like VV offered fall. That’s why I’m waiting to  before booking a bunch of cruises for November and December. 

Here’s a deal for you though. I’ll trade you my $600 free bar loot for your Deep Blue extras. Win win. 🙂

Edited by raphael360
Sic

14 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Mine took 3 weeks to start showing some sailor extras on the app.  I worried, called, and cried but then one day I saw some evidence my sailor status was in the system.  As a precaution, I printed out the confirmation email and took it to the pier preparing to fight for my 'Sea Rover rights' but alas VV had it all in their system.

Are you leaving from Miami?  If so I can tell you what to expect and how Sea Rover check-in in Miami worked for me on my first VV cruise.  It was 1000% better than I had ever dreamed possible.

Yes!  I would be leaving from Miami.  Would love to hear about your experience.  Mine will be booked through the Virgin Red points promo, so not sure how much of the benefits I'll actually get.

Sea Rover check in for us was no different than normal check in since we had a 1:30 pm arrival time.  We got to port about 1 and were second in line for check in at the desk we were directed to.  We had our stuff all done on the app, so no trip to the "if you didn't do it or need help" area.  Check in done, we were seated in a designated area to wait till 1:30.  At 1:30 the suites boarded, and the crew person in charge of us made a quick call to her supervisor as she hadn't received permission to board us yet.  She was back in 1-2 minutes and we boarded...went straight to our cabin to drop carry ons, and room host appeared for an introduction...then to lunch.  All very quick and easy.

If you have a later arrival time, there is a special sea rover line which will take you right away rather than waiting for your time.

The Deep Blue was nice.  As above we liked the laundry on the TA (that I would have paid for had it not been free.). We got the extra loot on a future booking...maybe.  It isn't on my account, but is on my email.  We tried the hot chocolate (made from powder...not great) and the specialty tea (also not great)...got the "Shake for Champagne" just because it was part of the deal; wouldn't do it again.  THe $100 bar tab would be nice--can be used on cold pressed juices  smoothies, virgin cocktails, as well as alcohol.  Other than that, the  stuff was "fluff."  Priority boarding, but we already had 1:30.  Cocktail party--another excuse for free drinks.  The red stuff was better than the bubbly they served  at sail away.  Special desk at Sailor Services--there was never a line anyhow. Still, it is a nice gesture.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neverendingcruising said:

Don't forget the free premium WiFi if it's available on your sailing!

Yeah, we departed from Barcelona so that wasn't available....which is why I forgot about it.  That perk was only good on Miami departures.

Edited by cantgetin