How common is it to miss ports on a British Isle cruise?

I would expect that tender ports are most vulnerable to cancellation for weather related rough seas but are there specific ports that are more susceptible to cancellation? I’ve read where St Peter Port is especially vulnerable to rough seas and it’s a tender port. Our tender ports are Edinburg (New Haven), Ullapool, Waterford and St Peter Port. Invergordon, Kirkwall, Killybegs, Belfast, Glasgow, and Liverpool where we are docked. I ask because although we are taking mostly Regent excursions, we are looking at options for private tours for a couple ports and want to make sure we completely understand those cancellation policies. I would assume that Regent will wait until the last minute to cancel a port. True?

As you mention, St Peter Port is a tender port.  Approx 90% of the ships are able to tender in, although all weather dependent.  You can have "one-off" rough seas in July, and yet have calm seas in late September/early October.  Some of the time the Captain will cancel the visit the day before if they are absolutely certain that they will not be able to tender, however usually the pilot boat will sail out to the ship, discussions will then happen and the Captain will then make the decision at that time on the day with the most up to date and local expertise providing information.  With regards to private tours, I would just ensure that if you ship is unable to tender, that they will refund in full (or the majority of the tour cost say less bank charges or a very small admin fee).

I don't know how common it is, but we were not able to tender in Newhavn  in July 2015 and missed the opening day of the British Open.  We had to "eat" our tickets.

3 hours ago, SueMo said:

I don't know how common it is, but we were not able to tender in Newhavn  in July 2015 and missed the opening day of the British Open.  We had to "eat" our tickets.

Surely that would be covered by your insurance ?  My policy would certainly most, if not all of the cost,  depending on the price of the tickets. 

Edited by wowzz

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Surely that would be covered by your insurance ?  My policy would certainly most, if not all of the cost,  depending on the price of the tickets. 

Didn't have insurance on that trip.  The tickets cost much less than a policy would have cost, though.  

5 hours ago, SueMo said:

Didn't have insurance on that trip.  The tickets cost much less than a policy would have cost, though.  

Fair enough. Our annual cruise cover for the two of us is £260, ($310). I assumed the tickets would be pretty expensive.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Fair enough. Our annual cruise cover for the two of us is £260, ($310). I assumed the tickets would be pretty expensive.

I just looked it up, and our tickets were 80 GBP each.  You have a great price on trip insurance.  We are currently paying just under $1000 US (for two of us) for an Alliance policy for a year.

8 minutes ago, SueMo said:

I just looked it up, and our tickets were 80 GBP each.  You have a great price on trip insurance.  We are currently paying just under $1000 US (for two of us) for an Alliance policy for a year.

Even our missed port cover (£150 pp) would have covered that !

Yes, we do have a good deal.