Guided Tour from Florence to Siena (and also maybe San Gimignano)?

GCBK10905

I'll be visiting Florence in late June for the first time (on a cruise ship) but will be there on a Monday (9am-8pm) and I understand some of the museums are closed, etc.

Therefore, instead I'm considering visiting Siena (and maybe San Gimignano) instead.  Really love small, quaint, charming villages - would be happy to stroll the streets, drink some good wine, eat some great food, enjoy good views.

1.  Does that seem like a good plan or should I focus time staying in Florence instead?

2.  Does anyone have an recommendations of good guided tours to Siena/San Gimignano)?  Everything I'm finding directs me to Viator and i realize that those can be hit or miss.

Thank you!

I will toss out some ideas and hope some others jump in with their opinion.  Since you mention small quaint charming villages, I would not recommend Siena (a bit far and not our favorite place).  Instead, you might want to consider San Gimignano and perhaps Volterra.  Those two villages are on a route that is quite convenient from Livorno.  If one needed to add another small village there is Colle val d'Elsa which is worth a half hour  stop.  Alternatively, you could do both Siena and San Gimignano...if you must.  I should add, for full disclosure, that DW's patron saint, Saint Catherine of Siena, still resides in Siena (at least her head) and is not looking so good these days.

But private tours are expensive, assuming you can even find a good option.  On the other hand. you could rent a car from a company like Sifracar.com (they deliver and pick up at the port) and simply drive yourself.  In villages like San Gimignano and Volterra, you really do not need a private guide.  These are places where you simply walk through the towns, browse the shops, and enjoy some food/wine.

Hank 

Try Rome in Limo. They operate in Florence and surrounding areas. Huge thread just down the board.

Viator is a broker, not a provider.  While that can result in lower prices, it can also result in problems if you need to communicate with them, or have an issue. Use recommended local vendors instead. 

You are starting the process a little late. Good luck!

We loved strolling through Siena, however, I agree you need to consider drive time when on a single day cruise stop.   I assume you are in Livorno from 9 am to 8 pm and not in Florence for that time duration.

All said, I think Florence is a city that needs to be visited if you have the opportunity to do so.   Even if museums are closed, I think there is lots to see.   Have a leisurely lunch atop the Hotel Baglioni ( at the b-roof restaurant) and enjoy fantastic views of the city while you dine. 

It is a beautiful area and you can't go wrong with any of the suggestions.

I happen to love Siena, to each his/her own.  San Gimignano and Volterra are nice but I wouldn't race to either of them if you haven't been to Florence yet, or Siena for that matter.

Lucca is another lovely option that can be easily accessed by train from Livorno.  You can spend the entire day there or pair it with a stop in Pisa (you have to change trains there anyway to get to Lucca).

There is much to see and do in Florence other than museums.