Best ship for couple?

kaz828

We have never done NCL before, it will also be my boyfriends first cruise so I want it to be an amazing experience for him. Which ship would you say is top for an adult couple. Adults only area options? We are big pool people and dining/food is important. 

Edited by kaz828

Just now, kaz828 said:

We have never done NCL before, it will also be my boyfriends first cruise so I want it to be an amazing experience for him. Which ship would you say is top for an adult couple. We are big pool people and dining/food is important. 

So, I would Recomend any of the Breakaway and Breakaway+ ships or Prima. Lots of dining options. Also, If you really want it to be special book a Haven Suite

• Like 3

bigger ship (more to do) and splurge on Haven.  avoid school vacation weeks, summers and holidays for the least amount of kids.

if you cant do Haven, then at least spring for a pass to Vibe (only on the bigger ships) and/or a Thermal Suite pass.

• Like 2

I second choosing the Haven - make sure to get a nice big balcony - and upgrade your dining to eat at the specialty restaurants.  Maybe watch some videos of the ships on you tube to see what layout and decor most appeals to you.  

I agree on the bigger ships.    But save your money on the haven.  
book a suite.  And specialty dinners.  Vibe and spa if your into those.   

you can have 2 great trips for the price of the one haven trip.     

but that’s me 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I agree on the bigger ships.    But save your money on the haven.  
book a suite.  And specialty dinners.  Vibe and spa if your into those.   

you can have 2 great trips for the price of the one haven trip.     

but that’s me 

Thanks, how does specialty dining work on NCL?

4 minutes ago, kaz828 said:

Thanks, how does specialty dining work on NCL?

Welcome to CC.   

here’s a list of the options on the prima.      
usually there’s a number of options you can buy either before or when on board.     But usually cheaper ahead of time.  

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/prima/whats-on-board/specialty-dining

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, meglet said:

I second choosing the Haven - make sure to get a nice big balcony - and upgrade your dining to eat at the specialty restaurants.  Maybe watch some videos of the ships on you tube to see what layout and decor most appeals to you.  

this is all matter of preference.  we never use our balcony, the Haven has ample deck space on the larger ships, both inside and out, and they have regular drink service.   you cant get alcohol delivered to your stateroom for free, even if you have the beverage package, and the mini bar is also not free, even with the drink package.   Also, the Haven restaurant is far superior to any of the specialty dining in my opinion.   we eat all three meals in the Haven, with the exception of Teppanyaki as you cant get that cuisine (or experience) in Haven.

• Like 1

We went as a couple on one the smaller, mid-size ships (the Gem, part of the Jewel class). It doesn't have a lot of family stuff (water slides, go carts, etc), so there may be less kids/families, depending on the itinerary and time of year. We had a great time, and there was always something to do. If you want lots of options, some of the bigger ships may have more stuff, but may also have more families. I guess it depends on if you're trying to avoid them on vacation 😅.

Edited by sherrihall128
  • Like 4

I notice you said you like the pools. My observation on the Getaway/Breakaway/Escape (BA and BA+ class ships) is that there is only one main pool, and it is VERY small for 4000-ish passengers. The Haven has a small pool, and it is never crowded, but on most of the ships it is indoors. That may or may not matter to you so I'm providing that info. So if the pool is important to you and you don't want to pay for the Haven, I'd recommend one of the smaller ships.

As far as food is concerned, the Haven food is the best on the ship. But you can do OK by using specialty dining and the main dining rooms. 

I should say, I really like the Haven. But I also recognize it is expensive and not for everyone.

Whatever ship and room you choose, a cruise is a great couple's vacation!

• Like 1

My biggest suggestion is the off-season and a longer cruise. In between Halloween and Christmas and not over Thanksgiving is my favorite time to travel. I prefer longer trips and these are usually not full and have very few kids. Any ship is great for couples under those conditions in my opinion.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wil e coyote said:

I notice you said you like the pools. My observation on the Getaway/Breakaway/Escape (BA and BA+ class ships) is that there is only one main pool, and it is VERY small for 4000-ish passengers. The Haven has a small pool, and it is never crowded, but on most of the ships it is indoors. That may or may not matter to you so I'm providing that info. So if the pool is important to you and you don't want to pay for the Haven, I'd recommend one of the smaller ships.

As far as food is concerned, the Haven food is the best on the ship. But you can do OK by using specialty dining and the main dining rooms. 

I should say, I really like the Haven. But I also recognize it is expensive and not for everyone.

Whatever ship and room you choose, a cruise is a great couple's vacation!

Thank you. Which ships are considered smaller ships. Yes, the pool is very important to us

1 hour ago, BostonGal35 said:

smaller ships:  Sprit, Sun, Sky, Jewel, Pearl, Star, Gem, Dawn, Jade

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship

My wife and I have only cruised on the Jewel, Dawn, Gem and the Pearl and have enjoyed every cruise.  We're booked on the Pearl again this June from Boston to Bermuda.  

Flip

• Like 1