Retreat Cabin Selection- Niew Amsterdam

Highlander1

We are experienced cruisers (approx. 20) but first timers coming up with HAL, most of our prior cruises were with NCL. We are sailing the Niew Amsterdam out of Ft. Lauderdale in December 23', 7 day Caribbean. We loved the Vibe atmosphere on NCL and from pictures and sales brochures we think the "Retreat" will be an improved version of other lines attempt at providing comfort, privacy and peace and quiet. My brother and SIL are long time HAL fans and have me convinced us to give them a try. We sail mostly out of NYC and vicinity and HAL doesn't do much business there, but Boston is not far and they are serving well there. We try and avoid flying for stress reasons, we go on a cruise to relax, not needing to get off an airplane and out of the airport ready for a shot of whiskey, and we don't even like whiskey, wine and beer are usually enough to take an edge off. Last years December cruise out on NJ on RC we had bad weather, only 1 warm day so we decided to start and end in Florida this time around, hoping the Gods don't strand us in an airport for any long periods. 

So, we tried to make a choice of "Retreat" cabins and felt the cabins on the side of the ship, Niew Amsterdam, Malaga Cabin,  may be a better choice for both view and wind, except when in port, it may get hot. The downside to the tents on the sides are that the front is the plexi-glass wall that is at least 8 feet tall and may prevent air from circulating in the tent. The downside (for us) on the tents facing the pool deck is the view and the wind when the ship is moving, it will blow right through from the front of the ship to the back. Also, are there restrooms near the tents or chaises? Bar nearby or bar service? Hours of operation? 

Any suggestions are welcomed about the ship, we are Balcony Deck 8 I think, entertainment, bars, dining, breakfast locations, after hours food,  open to all you can offer, much appreciated, looking forward to our first sail with HAL.

Welcome to Holland America!

We’ve had a Retreat Cabana on the Nieuw Amsterdam (and other ships) and I definitely don’t recall an 8’ plexi barrier.  They are normal see-through deck railings at regular balcony height.

I do not like the aft-facing cabanas due to the limited view of the sea and the people staring up at you as they stroll by.  I also don’t like the proximity to a Family Cabana as they can get a bit noisy sometimes.

My preference is for the port side, mid way.  There is a nice breeze coming in and nothing but sea views as far as the eye can see.  It’s also quieter than the starboard side as that is where the entrance is so it gets a bit more traffic.

There are restrooms not far away and easy access to the Crow’s Nest for snacks and beverages… but you won’t need to go for snacks and beverages because the Cabana Stewards do everything for you.

Have a great time!

Edited by *Miss G*

Cabanas,  not cabins.

If you search around thebowrd, there are dozens of threads about cabanas. Many, including us like the aft facing cabanas as the moving air is important in warm climates. Others like the ocean view. We had one once (out of 7 cruises with cabanas) and have never booked one again. 

Bar service in the cabanas is handled very well by the cabana attendants. Otherwise, the Crow's Nest bar is forward on the same deck. On N. Amsterdam, the nearest restroom is just outside the Crow's Nest. 

• Like 1

If I understand your question, yes on the pinnacle class all the cabanas have the plexiglass “walls”.  On the ship you are going on the side cabanas have the plexiglass wall and for that reason I don’t like them.  I prefer the ones that face to pool because of air flow.  It won’t blow you over 😛. I’ve never noticed anyone staring endlessly.

I just did ms NS cabana in the retreat.  Two doors on each side, bathrooms on starboard nearby and ADA bathrooms in crows nest 1 min away.   Any food or bevs are brought to you.  Forget the details and do it.   They will likely sell out we got the last one 90 days before cruise.  It was awesome and from your requirements undesirable.  So you should be good.

@bdd123, the OP is asking about N. Amsterdam,  which doesn't have restrooms in the Retreat area. Only the Pinnacle class ships have a restroom in the Retreat area. All the other ships with cabanas one needs to go to the entrance of the Crows Nest for a restroom. 

I was specific about what ship I was discussing.   

There is no bathroom in the Retreat on NS so you are mistaken about the ship, it is out of gate where you head to sun deck so anyone can access it.  

That toilet is tiny and inconvenient virtually unusable by someone in walker (my wife) We used crows nest.

I think it was port side.  whoops. 

Edited by bdd123