Lenses for Iceland & Norway Cruise

First time poster here on this board.

I'm another of the 'old school' photographers who started with my first SLR (Minolta x700) back in the mid 1980s. I've tried cruising with just my iPhone 12 but I'm never satisfied with my results when I get back home and start editing in LR and PS CC.

In late June we're cruising Viking to Iceland and then to Norway. It will be our first time to either location. We are arriving 2 days early in Iceland (doing the golden circle) and also extending the trip by 2 days in Norway for the train between Bergen and Oslo. I'm trying to decide what lenses and accessories to take on that trip.

We have cruised probably a dozen times and my experience is that cruises are not the best place to get great photography. Mainly because you're not usually in a great location at the best time of the day for the optimal images. However, I never stop trying ;).  I also need to blend my photography addiction with time spent enjoying vacation and family - not always my strong suit.

My current camera is the Sony a1 with an a7iii as a backup / second body. I'm currently thinking about taking 3 lenses.

Sony 100-400 GM. My thinking is that I can use this lens for landscapes, especially when sailing in the fjords. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get some waterfalls, architecture (houses / farms on shore as we cruise by), and maybe some shore birds with that lens. And possibly some whale images. We may also do some excursions where bird photography will be an option.

Tamron 28-200 mm. I bought this lens as a travel lens realizing that I may be giving up some image quality for convenience. It's a very sharp lens if I'm careful with my apertures. It will overlap some focal length with my 100-400, but it should be a great walkaround lens. I anticipate this will be my primary shore excursion lens but I will likely also take my 100-400 and a wider alternate (below).

Tamron 17-28mm F2.8. This is the widest lens I own and I love that focal length. I'll use it as needed, some on board the ship, but also on shore.

I'm going to also take a Sony mic for some 4k video, a couple of neutral density filters and a tripod. I don't know how much I'll use the tripod but my thoughts are that it might be helpful with some blurred water waterfall images (time permitting). I'm anticipating 20 hours or so of sunlight (midnight sun) so I'll likely have plenty of light for most of my photography aside from possible rainy weather which I'm also anticipating.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you all might have on this itinerary and what gear you think I should take or leave home.  Thanks

• Like 1

I think you have most bases covered with that choice of lenses (and cameras). At most, I would consider adding some fast prime(s) in case you want to shoot in dark conditions (eg. indoors), although that f/2.8 wide angle zoom might cover such situations at least partially if you don't need longer focal lengths.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 3:47 PM, mikenannie said:

First time poster here on this board.

Glad you found us, welcome to the forum. Hope you'll stick around even after your trip and share your travel images and other photography tips, images and of course, if you've got questions. 

The old Minolta must have been wonderful 😉 

Colleen

• Like 1

I was on a similar cruise last August.  On some days the only time it wasn't raining in Iceland was when we were on a bus.  Get off the bus, it starts raining.  Get back on the bus, it clears up.  Drive to the next spot on the tour, passing gorgeous scenery, taking marginal photos thru the windows.  Get off the bus, it starts raining again.  We stopped at Godafoss and rain stopped, but there was significant mist.  Same at the geothermal areas.  I had much better luck in Norway.

So take whatever you need to use your cameras in the rain and mist.  You might luck out, but better to be prepared.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

So take whatever you need to use your cameras in the rain and mist. 

I've heard the same from other visitors to Iceland and I'm trying to prepare myself both mentally and with the right gear. I've ordered a couple of these rain covers for my camera / lens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PTFDYO

And although I'm not crazy about getting my camera and lenses wet, it's suppose to be able to handle that kind of weather. I'll do what I can to keep it dry though.

I also bought a waterproof jacket and I'm shopping for some waterproof pants as well.

35 minutes ago, pierces said:

Ireland - Iceland back in 2019 - Wildlife opportunities were virtually nonexistent:

image.png.a657c9fa34c28680f16b4368ba1ed3c0.png

Plus about 100-odd with 12mm manual Rokinon on the A6300.

2019 Ireland & Iceland (pptphoto.com)

Dave

Nice photos!

I'm not anticipating seeing a lot of wildlife but we may see some sea / shore birds or maybe a whale or two. My main interest is in landscapes however. I expect that the long lens will be handy for picking out some micro landscapes from the ship as we pass through some of the fjords. Hope so anyhow. 

25 minutes ago, mikenannie said:

Nice photos!

I'm not anticipating seeing a lot of wildlife but we may see some sea / shore birds or maybe a whale or two. My main interest is in landscapes however. I expect that the long lens will be handy for picking out some micro landscapes from the ship as we pass through some of the fjords. Hope so anyhow. 

As you can see from the numbers, that's about what I found. Don't pass up a wider view via panorama. I tend to take quite a few sets, just in case. 

24-105 at 63mm
image.thumb.png.cf62b42f8230d740d0fbb3cbb63cc718.png

At 24mm

image.thumb.png.427f7ff6fec36e0134affe16b825eeb1.png

And yes, the long view was occasionally useful.

450mm

Ireland-Iceland%202019-0666-2868w.webp

Close-up of some 14th century surveillance equipment at Blarney Castle:

image.thumb.png.6db0e8d05265660aab14be241795862e.png

450mm again

Ireland-Iceland%202019-1067-1836w.webp

The best camera to take on a trip is sometimes two plus a phone!

🙂

BTW, I may have you beat on first SLR. I started with an SRT-102 when I was in high school back in '73-'74. It may as well have been chipped out of flint compared to today's digital wonders.

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikenannie said:

I've heard the same from other visitors to Iceland and I'm trying to prepare myself both mentally and with the right gear. I've ordered a couple of these rain covers for my camera / lens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PTFDYO

And although I'm not crazy about getting my camera and lenses wet, it's suppose to be able to handle that kind of weather. I'll do what I can to keep it dry though.

I also bought a waterproof jacket and I'm shopping for some waterproof pants as well.

My waterproof jacket with hood with a small stiff bill was a lifesaver.  It would have been even better with a ball cap underneath.  I didn't take waterproof pants, instead using quick dry technical/hiking pants with silk long johns - things I have more use for besides this trip.  Silk dries faster than wool.

I had a similar rain cover for my DSLR, but got tired of wrestling with it.  For simple landscapes I used my waterproof Pixel 5 shooting in RAW.  Got some excellent shots.  The new cell phones can be an excellent backup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dd57 said:

I had a similar rain cover for my DSLR, but got tired of wrestling with it.  For simple landscapes I used my waterproof Pixel 5 shooting in RAW.  Got some excellent shots.  The new cell phones can be an excellent backup.

I've wondered about the 'wrestling' with those rain covers too. I've never used them before but since their easy to carry, I'll take a couple. I may find the same thing that you did.

I've got some hiking pants too and I'm still working through my packing list, so those are definite possibilities. 

3 hours ago, pierces said:

As you can see from the numbers, that's about what I found. Don't pass up a wider view via panorama. I tend to take quite a few sets, just in case. 

I'm a big fan of changing up the aspect ratio to get some panoramic images or shooting several images to merge in post for good pano shots. I'll also crop square sometimes depending on the image.

I've been to Blarney castle as well back in 2004. I didn't remember those security cameras though 😉

On 3/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, dd57 said:

I was on a similar cruise last August.  On some days the only time it wasn't raining in Iceland was when we were on a bus.  Get off the bus, it starts raining.  Get back on the bus, it clears up.  Drive to the next spot on the tour, passing gorgeous scenery, taking marginal photos thru the windows.  Get off the bus, it starts raining again.  We stopped at Godafoss and rain stopped, but there was significant mist.  Same at the geothermal areas.  I had much better luck in Norway.

So take whatever you need to use your cameras in the rain and mist.  You might luck out, but better to be prepared.

That's how it was for my Alaskan cruise/tour this past summer. 😔

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:04 PM, mikenannie said:

Nice photos!

So I had a 2x on my 70-200 and was glad, or so I thought. I jumped on the balcony, and saw a whale breach. Got camera set for where it was happening. got a few shots. At 170, seems I rotated the ring. what kills me, I could have had a great 400 shot if I knew ring position. Well when it is day light at 1:30am it's past my bedtime so kindy drowsy.  ;-)